Author Topic: Gasket paper or - what?  (Read 6575 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Gasket paper or - what?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 02:01:13 AM »
there's no question there mate, it's down to corrosion.

you may not be able to see rust all over it but tiny patches of corrosion between the two mating surfaces makes it very difficult to undo some chucks or face plates if left for weeks. my advice would be that if you know you are going to be away from the lathe take them off.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 10:43:19 AM »
The real question is why when a chuck will come undone easily when it is fitted becomes almost welded on after a few weeks of none use?
Ron
Does this happen with all chucks ? Would it be the first stages of rust causing it ?
The only chucks I have are the Axi evolution which are apparently made from solid stainless steel. Not had a problem with them yet.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 07:47:38 PM »
Stainless steel can suffer from electrolytic corrosion when in contact with other metals so don't think just because your chuck is stainless it is never going to corrode! There are also different grades of stainless steel and some are better than others at resisting corrosion.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 09:29:58 AM »
I had the same issue on my old lathe with my chuck, one way round that worked for me is to get a bearing that's the same size as the spindle and put it on before the chuck then the chuck will butt up to it, hopefully this should solve your issue, the paper gasket idea is an old one, always bear in mind that friction can cause fires easily especially when using gasket paper.