Author Topic: Is there a need for a Guild of Woodturners  (Read 9791 times)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Is there a need for a Guild of Woodturners
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
If the number of submissions of work at the various woodturning competitions are anything to go by, I would say that the vast majority of our members have no wish for their work to be assessed, compared or otherwise inspected!

If you look at the aims of the AWGB, assessing or setting standards of work isn't on the list. Development of training standards is so I suggest all those wishing to be "certified" should enroll on the certificate course when it is available.

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
Re: Is there a need for a Guild of Woodturners
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 11:02:10 PM »
All this talk of certificates, City and Guilds, apprenticeships,NVQs is getting me down.
I cannot see what these will do to prevent poor workmanship out in the wider world.
Most of us are hobby turners either in our spare time or retired.
I wonder what the average age of the awgb is. If it is like most clubs then it is more than likely to be quite high (yes I'm over 65).
I already have completed an apprenticeship, memberships of a professional institute etc (although not in woodturning) and would not what to do more training such as NVQs to carry on with my hobby to which I enjoy.
I take pride in the work I turn out, but I believe we will never be able to prevent poor work being sold.
For a younger person with the aims of being a professional turner then I agree certificates and NVQs would be a good route to achieve this and the RPT could insist on it as part of their assessment procedure.
Regards
Ken.