Author Topic: face mask/respirator  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Danny

• iron
face mask/respirator
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:56:34 AM »
Hello all, :D
I am about to turn a piece of Iroko and would appreciate any advice on face masks/respirators etc my existing face masks tends to fog my glasses up 8) Iam aware that I need some sort of filter mask but would appreciate any recommendations from you. :D

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: face mask/respirator
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »
I use the Trend Airflow and find it to be very good. Some people say that they are a bit heavy but it suits me, and at the price around 200.00 it's a good bit of kit.

If you have no limit to the cost then the 3M system is very light weight and the battery pack sits on a belt around the waist.

Ed

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 01:52:04 PM »
in years gone past i was a chronic asthmatic and you would think that lots of woods would give me trouble with regards to respiration.

wrong...

iroko is the only timber to buck this trend but for me its not the shavings. as far as i'm concerned you should be ok with shavings or chips flying about but when it comes to sanding that's a different matter.

personally i use two 17" floor standing fans to blow everything straight out the door. works for me...

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 04:57:45 PM »
I have the Airshield but tend to only wear it when sanding.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 05:16:27 PM »
Iroko dust is a know irritant and you really should take precautions when working with it. If your glasses steam up try applying washing up liquid to it to prevent misting.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 06:16:19 PM »
 If your glasses steam up try applying washing up liquid to it to prevent misting.
[/quote]That is exactly what I do to my motorcycle helmet visor, and diving mask ( or spit !) but the washing up liquid needs to be wiped off as much as possible leaving only a thin clear coating .

Offline Danny

• iron
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 04:45:07 PM »
Many thanks for all your tips  :)

Danny