Author Topic: Restoring My Myford ML8 W.I.P  (Read 43228 times)

Rlewisrlou666

Re: Restoring My Myford ML8 W.I.P
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »
Oooooooh Yes! If its worth doing it's worth over doing. :D

So I hit an issue today and wanted to know your ideas on the best way to approach it.

The Grub/Set screws on the spindle outboard side and pully are close to a 3 size allen key but not quote a 3 one of each pair will undo but the other won't.

I want to remove them with as little damage to them as possible so I can take them shopping to find new ones.

Any Ideas would be a massive help.

Thanks Ryan.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 07:04:30 PM »

The Grub/Set screws on the spindle outboard side and pully are close to a 3 size allen key but not quote a 3 one of each pair will undo but the other won't.

I want to remove them with as little damage to them as possible so I can take them shopping to find new ones.

Any Ideas would be a massive help.

Thanks Ryan.

THere are two series of Allen keys; modern ones are millimetres but earlier ones are Imperial sizes. If 3mm is  too small, it might be 1/8 inch.

If you are located near SG12 9JY and want to borrow some Imperial Allen keys to try, please contact me off list (If there's a way of doing that)

Another suggestion is  to try TORX bits in the holes and see if one of those fits better

MCB

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 07:12:38 PM »
Hi MCB,

Thanks for the offer and thanks for making me slap myself for being so dense, I had a brain fart and forgot about Torx bits,

The 3mm is to small and I don't want to round them off I tried giving it a turn and it slipped so I gave up before things went really bad.
Prevention is better than cure and all that Jazz.

More pictures to come tomorrow with a bit of a write up of my process for doing stuff. :)

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »
Hi Ryan - Just looking at the exploded diagram for my ML8 and can't see a grub screw in the outrigger, I wonder where it is. You can bet your boots that it's not metric though, metric components only came in after serial No: N157433M
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 08:55:35 PM »

As I'm reading this, would it be the pulley retaining grub screws to the spindle, from my only option of the cutaway drawing of the lathe posted in the other thread, there could also be grub screws locking what may well be the thrust ring for bearing pre-load which would be the outboard side.

Any thread size as mentioned would be Imperial, given it's unlikely the lathe has been apart since manufacture, hence not modified to metric should the threads been damaged.

Very odd thing has come out of this I'd just been looking at my Mystro manual and there are listed 1/4" BSF x 3/16" socket set screws locating the spindle/bearing end cover.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 07:52:03 AM »
Hi guys thanks for the help.

The red outlines indicate the screws that can be removed with a 3mm Allen the Blue are the one that are being stubborn.

Its says 1/4"BSF x 1/4" LONG for the Adjusting Collar and 2BA x 1/2" Long for the Pully  Grubscrew.

I'll get my TORX set out today and see if I can get them out without tearing the heads to pieces.

With the spindle out I can finish flatting down the headstock and base it in primer and all that is left is the Cabinet. I'm getting there.

Thanks again Ryan.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 10:06:48 AM »
The red outlines indicate the screws that can be removed with a 3mm Allen the Blue are the one that are being stubborn.

Its says 1/4"BSF x 1/4" LONG for the Adjusting Collar and 2BA x 1/2" Long for the Pully  Grubscrew.

BA Socket set screws require Imperial Allen keys.

2BA requires 3/32 Allen key
1/$ BSF requires 1/8 Allen key

It's worth marking the positions of the screws on the shaft (are there flats?) to reassemble correctly.

MC

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 11:25:31 AM »
I had the right size TORX bit and I've just had them out.

The Bearing adjusting collar is threaded so the set screws on that can only go in one place.

The Pully might be threaded too and I'm not really keen on taking the whole assembly apart at the moment but I will need to at some point to replace the plunger.

I've removed what I can and masked off the spindle and bearings now I just need to sand and prime the head stock tail end bed support is done.

It's so cold though I think I might need a heater in the shed. :(

Thanks again for the help and advice guys.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »

The Bearing adjusting collar is threaded so the set screws on that can only go in one place.

The Pully might be threaded too and I'm not really keen on taking the whole assembly apart at the moment but I will need to at some point to replace the plunger.

I  apologise if I  expressed myself badly

I  asked if there were flats on the shaft (spindle in your  drawing). THe socket set screws can have different points - cone, cup, dog, etc.

There might be a flat (or two - since there are two socket set screws) on the shaft so that the collar is  replaced at the correct azimuth.

On your  drawing, the screws are Annual Return 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock. There may be marks or flats on the shaft corresponding to those positions (or even a keyway - difficult to tell from drawing)

MC

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
Ah I'm with you now, lol

I'll make a mark at Top Dead Centre so once I have taken it apart I can make sure it goes back together the same way even if there isn't flats on the spindle there might be indentations from the grub screws.

It's hard to tell on the spindle as the bearing housing is blocking me from seeing anything beyond it but I hope there are flat's and good ones, The ones on my draper are crap and if I get a catch the pulleys get knocked out of alignment.

I don't want to remove the bearings till I'm ready to tackle it all as one job.

Ryan

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 06:15:28 PM »
Back with another update guys and gals.

I finished flatting down the Tail End Bed Support and the Headstock today and got them blasted in a coat of Primer.

Now that is all the individual parts of the Myford in a first coat of primer so with any luck I shouldn't get any more rust spots.

Next jobs are flatting the Cabinet and getting them in primer then comes the rebuild and motor upgrade I'll get pictures of that tomorrow in between sanding.

Here is the Tail End Support in Bare Metal.

Here is the Headstock partly sanded.

Here is the Tail End Support in beautiful Red Oxide. lol

Here is the Headstock just after a coat of primer it's still wet cause I had to rush out to get the kids from school so I snapped a picture quickly.

I'm out of primer now but I've got a long process of sanding down the Cabinet ready for paint before I can start mocking things up for the test fit.

Once again thanks for reading and hope you are still finding this interesting,

Any questions or criticisms are welcomed.

Ryan

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 06:30:57 PM »

BA Socket set screws require Imperial Allen keys.

2BA requires 3/32 Allen key
1/$ BSF requires 1/8 Allen key

It's worth marking the positions of the screws on the shaft (are there flats?) to reassemble correctly.

MC

It show copper caps under the grub screws for the collar in order not to damage the threads, may also be the same with the pulley, the screws locate on flats on the spindle there.

Excellent work so far, well done.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
Hi David,

I found out the hard way that the little copper caps are really hard to find in the dark under the bench when one for a wander.

Crisis averted with the help of my head torch, Pah! and the wife said I'd never use it. :)

Ryan

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 07:55:14 PM »
Ryan

This is one very impressive rebuild  :)

Good Luck

Ed

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2014, 09:04:01 PM »
I found out the hard way that the little copper caps are really hard to find in the dark under the bench when one for a wander.

I  found this web page:
 http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/archive/index.php/t-57904.html
which makes some suggestions about source of replacements!

MC