Author Topic: Restoring My Myford ML8 W.I.P  (Read 43132 times)

Rlewisrlou666

Restoring My Myford ML8 W.I.P
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:57:34 PM »
So in this post I'll be sharing my journey through a restoration of a Myford ML8.

It's an early model from the first run of ML8's that Myford produced.
In a beautiful Cream colour, well not so beautiful any more because the only paint left on it has degraded and has started chipping/peeling/falling off.
It has a lot of rust that from what I can tell at the moment seems to only be surface rust and hasn't penetrated right through.
The bolts that I have had a go at seem to be free apart from cracking them and the rust on the threads make them a bit tight.

This is my 2nd ever lathe and my first ever restoration Lathe project so please bare with me I'll probably get things wrong, I'll probably mess up a few thing but I'll get there in the end.
I paid £80 for it but it did come with some Rob Sorby, Marples and unknown Chisels so it was a steal.

Jobs to be done are as follows.

1) Complete tear down / Strip of all parts.

2) Clean up all parts (Soda Blast everything that can be blasted treat the ones that can't)

3) Prime any parts that will need paint to save from more rust, Protect any that won't be painted.

4) Oil/Grease Bearings/Spindles/Nuts/Bolts and anything else that needs it.

5) Test/Check all parts for wear/cracks/knackered thread things that might cause issues later.

6) Complete rewire of all electrical components, Re solder contact points.

7) Fit new Motor (2.25HP Treadmill Motor with complete control board)

8 ) Rebuild and Test, Test, Test

9) Decide on a paint scheme (factory original or custom)

10) Disassemble, Paint then Assemble again.

11) Enjoy my hard work.

I'll be adding lots of pictures along the way and I'll be putting up the first ones a bit later on today.

I hope things go well and maybe it might help someone take a chance on an old machine.

Thanks for reading Guys and Gals.

p.s If there is anything I've left out please don't hesitate to let me know. The list will probably change along the way.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:40:25 PM by Rlewisrlou666 »

Rlewisrlou666

Re: Restoring My Myford ML8 W.I.P
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 02:43:28 PM »
First Problem I have come across before starting is that the Indexing plunger has snapped.

The plunger is missing and it appears to have snapped just before the tip that slots into the indexing holes.

On the picture I can see how another one can be made I just need to work out how to get the broken piece out. :(
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:45:17 PM by Rlewisrlou666 »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:02:47 PM »
Sounds like you've got it all worked out, Ryan. It will be interesting to follow this.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 05:20:44 PM »
So how long do you think it might take ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:08:11 PM »
Thanks Les,
I have it all worked out in my head but that's never a safe place to have things they tend to get lost and I almost never stick to a plan. lol

Hi Graham,
I gave it a good bash today and got it stripped down, I was expecting to run into problems with the strip down and for it to take me a few days but I got it all done in a few hours.
If I have more days like today I think I might be done in a few weeks. Waiting for bits/soda blasting/finding paint/waiting for paint to dry are all things that will slow me down.
But I might be lucky and find the things I need locally without having to order online and wait for delivery.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:52:21 PM »
I can't quite make out where the break is. Any chance you can reform the part or hold the bits together and in place with chemical metal?

Other than that, it looks to be an interesting project, will follow your efforts with interest.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
So I made some progress today stripping down the ML8 here is a run down of what I did and some pictures.

First I removed the Toolrest and Tailstock from the bed with a bit of WD40 on the clamp bolts they came loose without much trouble and they lifted right out.

Next I removed the Outboard Toolrest the Motor and Motor Mount using the same process some WD40 and the bolts came right off, the threads seem fine too but I might buy new.

Then I moved on to the Headstock and Bed I removed them in one and I'm going to wait for the assembly book to get here before I attempt to separate them.

A job I was dreading was done with relative ease separating the spur from the spindle. A bit of WD40 and a spanner as a kind of ball joint splitter and it popped right out. Phew Both spindles are free of extras.

All in all I think today was a success I'll get back to it tomorrow hopefully with the Assembly Manual and give things a decent clean possibly attack the bed to get the surface rust off and move it into the shed and out of the Mrs Sewing Room. 

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 08:15:02 PM »
Hi dr4g0nfly,

The Highlighted part is missing it didn't come with the Lathe.
The red line is where I thing it has snapped so the end piece is stuck inside the plunger hole and hitting the indexing holes ever so slightly.
I'll get it out but I'm just trying to mentally work out how to make a new one.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 09:22:41 PM »
All sounding good, You have made a great start, just hope you can get it back together without any bits left over  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:12 PM »

You did do well, and not a problem popping the spur drive, albeit some rust and a tight fit, it is a taper after all and unless the machining doesn't match should release, normally with a sharp tap with a knockout bar, wonder how much force can be applied normally as a dead blow, depend on if it's a 4lb lump hammer or not.  I've had an odd drive need a bit of persuading before now, as you'd done.

Can see this as being an interesting thread and very rewarding. Well done so far.

I'd wondered, although Myford may not list the ML8 whether a call to them may bring some likelihood as too what/how they could help you out.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 11:32:50 PM »
What a great project to undertake I'm looking forward to the progress reports

Good luck

Ed

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 08:25:59 PM »
Just a small update today as I didn't get much done. My eldest slipped in the shower last night and bumped her noggin so I've been Comfort Dad for the day.

I did however have an awesome delivery from Mr Postman.

I also made a call to Myford LTD to ask if they had any ML8 Indexing plungers but alas they have only got a few face plates and some spindles. (I might contact them again to price them up.)

So aside from being a personal Teddy today I did strip down my Tail Stock.

Here is a little how to. These might not apply to everyone and I might be lucky enough to have caught it before things rusted to bad.

1) Remove the Tailstock from the bed by undoing the Quick Nut and slide the Tailstock off the end of the bed.

2) Once you have the Tailstock removed locate and unscrew the retaining screw at the back of the Tailstock between the hand wheel and Tailstock.
(It might be hidden under gunk) a thin flat head screwdriver will do the job nicely.

3) Once you have the retaining screw out pry out the Thrust Ring ( Washer cut in Half, Also might be hidden under some gunk)
There should be a gap at the bottom of the ring on the Face side to help pry it out.

4) Now the Hand Wheel is free to remove from the Tailstock Barrel by turning as if slackening of the Tailstock till it is free. Removing this lets you slide the Barrel freely back and for.

5) If you have a Live Centre/Revolving Centre or other centre attached now is the time to remove them. The ML8 had a set screw holding on the Spur and blocking the Barrel.
Once that was removed the Barrel slid out no trouble at all.

6) All that was left to remove was the Barrel Locking Lever and the Pad Bolt that just pulled out after the Barrel is removed.

There you have it Guys and Gals one stripped down Myford ML8 Tailstock.

I have to say I am enjoying myself greatly and learning so much already Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:28:59 PM by Rlewisrlou666 »

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »
Hi guys I've made some progress but only a little.

First things first the Myford has been moved to its new home for now till I build a bigger shed.
Allowing me to work on it in peace and not have the Wifes sewing room filled with tools and rust lathe parts.
Anything for an easy life. :)

Next I got a wire wheel and started stripping down the smaller parts removing the rust and left over paint. (I managed to loose the pictures of them looking all shiny and clean)
I've just given them a light coat of Red Oxide Primer to stop any further rusting wile I work on the rest.
I have painted the tool rest and the headstock cover so far and once they are dry I'll put them away safe and move on to the rest of the smaller parts.

Money is going to be a major issue with this project and so is space .I've priced up some timber and hopefully I can build my new shed next week.

Thanks for reading guys.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 04:42:10 PM »
 Well done, Ryan...the newly primed pieces look like new and it's amazing to see that just by looking at that belt-hatch cover one can tell exactly what it is...it's such a familiar piece of the machine.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »
Here is a picture of all the parts I managed to get into primer today.

I'll lay them all out tomorrow and get a decent picture and I should be able to finish the rest too.