Author Topic: Hawaii's Woodshow 2014  (Read 4389 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Hawaii's Woodshow 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 08:48:42 PM »
David,

thanks for posting this. I've always been fascinated by the Hawaiian wood scene.

One thing that always gets me it the amount of their work that's done using softwoods. Okay they are far nicer than our softwoods but outside of a few (Macrocarpia & Monkey Puzzle etc.) we don't normally consider softwoods for ornamental turning.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »
David,

thanks for posting this. I've always been fascinated by the Hawaiian wood scene.

One thing that always gets me it the amount of their work that's done using softwoods. Okay they are far nicer than our softwoods but outside of a few (Macrocarpia & Monkey Puzzle etc.) we don't normally consider softwoods for ornamental turning.

Have to disagree there Brian, any wood is good for ornamental turning, it's a case of working with the wood and not trying to make the wood do what you want.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »
David,

So true when it comes to our use of the softer woods, then we did see a lot of pine used in Lamps, Newels and Spindles, not to mention the wide use in Construction, again Stairs and Furniture.

Is it Monkey Puzzle, or as seen in a lot with their work and NIP .. Norfolk Island Pine .. I love to see those pieces.

Softwoods can be deceiving, yet turn an finish equally well as Hardwoods and some of those take something to finish.  With Macrocarpa, a branch I felled for Oliver Plant, He turned the most delightful bracelets from most of the timber, just goes to show what can be turned.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »
That is a very inspiring show.
Nice bit of music too.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?