Author Topic: Few of my amateure'ish boxes  (Read 6946 times)

andersonec

Few of my amateure'ish boxes
« on: September 20, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »
Had no luck at uploading through the 'Additional options' route so trying the Photobucket way David pointed out.

I mainly make jewellery boxes and have also dabbled with other items for people, Backgammon boards, sewing boxes, Blanket chests etc. After throwing away many lumps of wood I saw some pictures of 'Turned boxes and thought they would compliment my jewellery boxes and not be so price heavy so about eighteen months ago I obtained a little Axminster lathe then wondered how to use it, cart before the horse so to speak, got hold of a few videos and the Chris Stott one has been more than useful for box making so here are a few of the latest, I have not photographed any previous ones. I do not spend a lot of time on the lathe and so my progress has been fairly labored.

A few of my other bits

Andy
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:32:47 PM by andersonec »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Few of my amateure'ish boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:53:28 PM »
Hi Andy,
             I am glad you mastered how to upload photographs of your work these are stunning I like all 3 of your turned boxes the one in the centre is my 

favourite.

The rest of your work is great I would love to own any one of these and I am sure you have no trouble in selling your work congratulations.

Regards John

John Smith

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »
Well...what can I say? The 3 turned boxes are all great pieces - very different in styles and will appeal to very different tastes, but each is a grand piece of work in its own right. Interesting cabochons in two of them...are they natural? I use a lot of gem stones and can see that the one on the left could well be crazy-lace agate, but have no idea what the middle one is.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:33:03 PM »

Andy, Worth the wait, that's 3 very sweet little boxes, nicely turned and excellently finished.

Wouldn't look out of place anywhere.  Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:43:53 AM »
Those are some great looking boxes, turned and flat. Nothing amateurish going on there.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 11:51:36 AM »
nice stuff mate. i think you are going to love some of the wood you'll be getting from me as you will be able to make tons of that stuff out of it.

let me know when your able to pop down and we'll fix a day.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »

Hi Andy..........Some very nice and well turned boxes there, the cabochons adding a nice point of interest.

Your Flat work is also intriguing to say the least.
      Tony and Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

andersonec

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 07:09:58 PM »
Well...what can I say? The 3 turned boxes are all great pieces - very different in styles and will appeal to very different tastes, but each is a grand piece of work in its own right. Interesting cabochons in two of them...are they natural? I use a lot of gem stones and can see that the one on the left could well be crazy-lace agate, but have no idea what the middle one is.

Les

Thanks chaps for all the encouraging remarks, because I already work with wood I find it easy to pick up the skills involved so can put my hand to it quite quickly. I have made quite a lot of boxes now and the first attempts left a lot to be desired, but I am now getting more pleased with the results. After all my rantings on another thread I do listen to people and take on-board any advice given, after all they have been doing it a lot longer than me.

Les, They are Agate and they do make the little boxes look slightly different and more interesting, saw similar cabochons on Chris Stott's video and tried to get hold of some, no such luck,,, finally came across some Chinese sellers of Agate beads (with holes for threading) so I emailed and asked if they can supply beads approx. 40mm  in diameter, after a few emails I ordered some (approx £1.80 ea and free postage) they were pretty good so ordered more, I didn't know what was coming and I got some very colourful ones and some quite subdued ones but all have a place depending on what type of wood you are using. I now have quite a collection and if you want some let me know and I'll send you a few for say two squids each including postage.

Andy

andersonec

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »
Those are some great looking boxes, turned and flat. Nothing amateurish going on there.

Graham, if you saw the ones which have ended up on the scrapheap you wouldn't say that.

Andy

andersonec

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 07:12:11 PM »
nice stuff mate. i think you are going to love some of the wood you'll be getting from me as you will be able to make tons of that stuff out of it.

let me know when your able to pop down and we'll fix a day.

Looking forward to it Steve, will be in touch.

Andy

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 07:23:48 PM »

Graham, if you saw the ones which have ended up on the scrapheap you wouldn't say that.
Andy
Same here.
Famous saying.... All good woodturners are wood burners  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 07:50:17 PM »
Andy,

we all have turnings that don't work, I refaced a platter 4 times today until I was happy with the finished effect. But if this is an example of your work as an amateur (turner) I can see greater things to come.

The fine detail you’ve managed to keep makes these small pots work well, a beginner would probably sand them away.

And the boxes are very good as well, well the RE one is missing a Yellow & ME (you can guess!)

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 06:57:25 AM »
Andy

you have a eye for these boxes I think that they look very smart, and your other boxes and backgammon board are simply something special.

Very nice collect of work to see on here

Ed

andersonec

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »
Andy,

we all have turnings that don't work, I refaced a platter 4 times today until I was happy with the finished effect. But if this is an example of your work as an amateur (turner) I can see greater things to come.

The fine detail you’ve managed to keep makes these small pots work well, a beginner would probably sand them away.

And the boxes are very good as well, well the RE one is missing a Yellow & ME (you can guess!)

Bryan

Some funny stuff on here Bryan.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dave.gorrill/750736151653572/?notif_t=group_comment_reply

Andy

andersonec

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 07:43:40 PM »
Andy

you have a eye for these boxes I think that they look very smart, and your other boxes and backgammon board are simply something special.

Very nice collect of work to see on here

Ed

Thanks Ed, I search the net for images (not to the stage yet where I can design my own) and try to copy them, they invariably end up different from the original because the shape sometimes tells me it's wrong and after looking closely the adjustments needed show up.

Got my lathe headstock back from Axminster today, can't say how much I like this shop, this is the third time it has been back and they have now changed the bearings, no quibble, no question and they speak to you with a smile in their voice, well done Axminster and thanks.

Andy