Author Topic: airbrush paints  (Read 6566 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
airbrush paints
« on: September 20, 2014, 04:15:30 PM »
what make would be generally reccomended for airbrushing designs on wood,and what sort of price are they,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: airbrush paints
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 07:06:38 PM »
Eric,

Just about any paint will go through an airbrush, the trick is to make it thin enough. The consistency should be like that of milk.

Acrylics are good but the thinners are a little expensive, you can use water but Isopropyl Alcohol is better (mixed 1 to 3 with Orange Juice!)

Or if you search the net a bit, you can buy airbrush paint at the correct consistency in more colours than you'd even need, but a little costly.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

teddyt

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 08:39:20 PM »
hi I use Tamiya paints for airbrushing, thinned with halfords screen wash(yep halfords screen wash in the light blue bottle)
dirt cheap and a bottle lasts a couple of years!!!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:49:30 PM »
Axminster do a new range of acrylics for air brushing at about a fiver for 32mls. But other makes are readily available. Malcolm.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »
Eric I now go to my local hobby railway shop, they do airbrush-able paints. Quite expensive though, I paid £3.95 for a pot smaller than an eggcup but good quality and once thinned it goes a long way. I buy 3 types depending on what use I have for them, the Humbrol oil paints, the small tins used for the old Airfix kits, an acrylic which is what I normally use for airbrushing and another make, can't remember it offhand, which is another enamel, good solid colours.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 09:18:12 PM »
Eric....Joey Richardson was demo-ing at our club several weeks ago and she told us that her web-site has all the links to all the airbrush supplies (equipment and paint) that she uses....I just lifted this off her resources list...

GRAPHICS DIRECT.   www.graphicsdirect.co.uk

All colours , help and advice from Graphics direct  ask for Chris mention my name, Tel 08448005721 or Chris’s direct   number is 01423359730

...and here's the link to her page

http://www.joeyrichardson.com/demo.html

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:54:28 PM »
Eric

Chestnut do a range of spirit coloured stains which can be thinned and used in as air brush you can find them on my site

https://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product/spirit-stain-rainbow-colours/

or

https://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product/spirit-wood-stain-samples/

Ed

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 02:09:06 AM »
Generally what you want to look for is acrylic airbrush paint. You can get it in opaque or translucent. Com Art and Golden are a couple of makes, Createx is another one. Not all paints are the same in terms of particle size so some may need a bigger needle size on the airbrush even if they have been thinned.

The Chestnut spirit dyes can also be sprayed to good effect but they aren't the same thing as airbrush paint.

andersonec

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »
Saw Mick Hanbury decorating a bowl using Acrylics, he sprayed the bowl black then applied the colours, one drop at a time, and blew the drop in very small, random arcs with a compressor, the resulting effect was a very attractive rose-like flower, he then painted in the stems from the base upwards with a very thin artists brush, the overall effect was very nice and very different, sadly I have no photographs and cannot find one on the web, it is a fairly new technique with him but if you would care to email him I am sure he would be willing to help.

Andy

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 10:18:18 PM »
thanks for all the advice chaps,just got to persaude the missus I need a sprayer now haha

andersonec

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 06:25:03 PM »
what make would be generally reccomended for airbrushing designs on wood,and what sort of price are they,cheers,

Eric.

Eric, I replied earlier to your post saying I had seen a bowl done by Mick Hanbury with Acrylic and a compressor (blower) I have since found a photo which is below. it still has to have a finish applied.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »
I`ve seen Mick Hanbury do that on a number of occasions,its a very clever effect isn`t it,another thing to try once I get the compressor haha.