Author Topic: Demonstrators  (Read 45698 times)

Rlewisrlou666

Re: Demonstrators
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2014, 10:38:41 PM »
We did a lot of Live Steam stuff in Uni and always had issues one way or another and even more when you start adding more than one live feed.

Just to add I was in Uni studying Computer Games Design/Computer Science along side Computer Programmers and if we had problems trust me on this you will too.

The simpler the better 1 Live Feed from a single location users log in from outside the range.

Things that might slow down the connection and cause problems are other people connected to the network via WiFi like Smart Phones, Laptops, iPads, Other Computers on the Server, The laptop sending the feed and the laptop you will need to test the feed on site.

I think it is a real great idea though and would love to see it happen.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:42:07 PM by Rlewisrlou666 »

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2014, 12:21:13 PM »
There are lots of factors that will affect the quality of the feed. Some of which you can improve if you are able to control the configuration at each end but some will be out of your control.

Commercial voice over IP is usually set up with reserved bandwidth and quality of service constraints so other network traffic doesn't affect the call quality. You won't have that level of control so it's inevitable that at times the video and sound is likely to break up.

John, the range of wifi will depend to a great extent on what is between the router and PC. Clear line of sight will probably give you up to 100feet. Put a couple of walls in the way and it's down to 10!

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2014, 12:48:51 PM »
You could always get one of these or something similar if you have a shed/workshop set up that is at the end of your Hub/Router WiFi range.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1070754.htm

PhilipS

« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2014, 01:16:01 PM »
I can agree with what has been said above. I have been experimenting with live broadcasts and have found, by trial and error, many of the problems encountered. Most seem to be around upload and download speeds on broadband. I am happy to have found out today that fibre broadband is now available to me and I am about to sign up. This will partly resolve my upload capacity/speed but until I can upgrade my computer not all the issues will be solved. However, this will not resolve the viewing experience of others who do not have the same facilities.

I have solved the problem of wifi in my workshop which is some distance from my house and does not engage with my router. Adapters are readily available.

I have also invested in software and equipment to improve my video making options. As I do not get asked to demonstrate to clubs, broadcasting and videos seem to be the way forward for me and those who might like to engage with me independently.

I am currently working on a shortish video that will illustrate various options for texturing with power tools, this will be on my website soon. No new techniques really just showing what various bits of gear might offer to those with creative inclinations. Anyone who might like to follow up on any of the techniques or tools and equipment shown can of course contact me privately or ask pro woodturners and forum members for help and advice here.

I will be producing videos on other subjects too.

Philip

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2014, 04:12:05 PM »
Philip,

I'm looking forward to your broadcasts and videos. Please be sure to let us know (via this forum) of date/time and new releases.

Thanks Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2014, 05:32:14 PM »
Philip,

I'm looking forward to your broadcasts and videos. Please be sure to let us know (via this forum) of date/time and new releases.

Thanks Bryan

^^ What he said

Ryan.

PhilipS

« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »
Thanks Bryan and Ryan for your interest I will let you know when things are ready.

I won't be getting high speed broadband until the 14th, there is a wait for the engineer to flick the switch in the cabinet. I will however be working on the video which will take a while to produce. It will be a collage power tools including the Foredom Micromotor, flexishaft handpieces, NSK Presto, pyro branding, power carving, routing and a range of burrs, cutters and other stuff. No explanations just some basic visual examples of how they might be used to produce textures.

Philip

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2014, 06:40:24 PM »
Sounds great I'm interested in Pyro stuff and have been thinking about making my own Fire Brand for a few years now, It will be nice to see how you apply it to wood work.