Author Topic: Demonstrators  (Read 46212 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Demonstrators
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 09:46:49 PM »

Hi George,
                 Or even in the Middle of the  day :o :o I could just imagine asking a club in say Australia to stop their Demo while we in UK want a coffee break

is this technology gone mad. ::)
                                                    Regards John
John Smith

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 10:20:09 PM »

is this technology gone mad. ::)
                                                    Regards John
Pretty much, but probably the way things will go. Its the 'global village' coming to get us.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 10:24:13 PM »
Just because something is possible doesn't mean it is desirable.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2014, 08:33:17 AM »
A slightly different take on things. I encourage the "audience" to ask questions during the demo (a) so they don't forget to ask at the end, (b) because it is probably more pertinent at that point, (c) it sometimes reminds me of something I should have said and didn't.
Now in a club with about 30 -50 members watching the demo I could get 2 or 3 questions about one particular bit of the demo, ie. how to get a good fit on your lid. I sometimes have to explain this a number of different ways before everyone grasps the idea. Now you may say that I am not a very good teacher because of this or...a very good teacher to be able to explain the same thing many ways but that is irrelevant because the point is if the audience is bigger because there are multiple clubs "tuned in " but participating clubs still feel that it is more intimate because of the numbers at their venue does this mean that the demonstrator could expect many more questions about the same thing? If the audience were all in the same room you probably would not get the same number of questions because people get embarrassed to ask.
 I also agree with Pete's comment that just because it is possible it isn't necessarily desirable.

andersonec

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2014, 08:26:39 PM »
A while back I offered Skype on my website as a means of connecting with other turners but there were no takers. Seems a shame that no-one was interested to engage in a joint learning process. I am sometimes short on technical matters and could do with some help sometimes in problem solving. Some might benefit in return for help in creative matters. We all have strengths and weaknesses and could learn from one another. I can understand why others might not like to engage with me (given my internet reputation) but there are great opportunities in learning via the net for those with interests that may not necessarily be served in a club setting or a demonstration. Maybe a Skype Club could be an answer.

Philip

Something which the RPT could discuss, perfect and roll out to clubs.

Andy

PhilipS

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2014, 11:58:49 AM »
Has anyone who has expressed worries tried Skype? It would be an ideal method for follow ups for those offering courses. It is nigh on impossible to remember everything that has been taught over a full day. Skype would offer the opportunity for the learner to check out things not grasped fully on the day. That is of course if the teacher is prepared to offer this as an additional facility.

If anyone would like to see how it could work, get in touch. I have an HD webcam and am currently waiting for a headset to see how sound and vision might work out out in practice.

As far as an online club is concerned it might be better to do it informally. Again if anyone would be interested to try this out, get in touch. This might be especially useful for turners in remote locations who don't have a club facility in reasonable travelling distance.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »
"Something which the RPT could discuss, perfect and roll out to clubs.

Andy"

Not just the RPT members but also all the independent turners.

Turner 1 doing demo for club is not a problem if they have the right kit (cameras, mike and broadband). Club may have an issue with laptop/projector and screen for viewing. The need for a roving mike has been pointed out - yes, that can be taken care of by using the small wireless mike usually placed on the demonstrator or as we would do, plug in the main mike to the PA.

Time zones can be an issue but with the USA -8 to -6 hours behind and Australia + 10 hours ahead of GMT, it does need a bit of planning. Took me a while to sort out a time to talk with my man in Sydney recently!

As for tea breaks, you can stop the call and call again.

Will be interesting to see which UK club is first with a skype demo - they have already been done in the US.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2014, 05:03:13 PM »

Hi David,
                   How about you trying this out at your Club then you can give us the benefit of your knowledge I am afraid I am not much good on these modern Techno things.
                                 Regards John ::)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 05:49:29 PM by John D Smith »
John Smith

• platinum
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2014, 05:37:57 PM »
I can see that what Philip S  is saying regards a "follow up" to training, but this then promotes the asking of the same question where all this started from,who pays? I hand out my contact details to those that want it after a demo, some do get in touch and ask pertinent questions about things I did in the demo and I am happy to discuss these popints: but what about the person that sees this as an opportunity to get free lessons? I charge expenses for demos on top of the fee so should we then charge per Skype call?

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2014, 07:39:01 PM »
John,

We have actually discussed this at our club and are in the process of assessing the broadband facility available to us at our venue. No connection, no Skype!

The key issue is finding another turner who a) is on skype and b) who is able to do such a demo for us.

In the meantime we have other issues to resolve but it is on our "to do" list.

David

David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »
Hi David,
                The best of luck in your task I look forward to hearing how you get on :)
                                     Regards John
John Smith

• platinum
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2014, 05:52:59 PM »
Dave, I am on Skype, not sure if it would work in the workshop though. I am sure I could borrow the club camera so if you wanted to set up an experiment in the future let me know. I do foresee another problem though, each demo will require 2 people instead of just one, because as you are turning (demonstrating) it is unlikely that you would hear the shouts to focus the camera, turn the volume up or zoom in, you may also need someone to relay questions.
    I don't think it would replace "live" demonstrations even though it was in real time and if there was bad weather the connection could be lost and you could end up with a hall full of turners waiting to see if the signal returns . This is no different however than if a demonstrator broke down on the way (this is my worst nightmare both as a demonstrator and as a club chairman).

andersonec

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2014, 08:04:41 PM »
I can see that what Philip S  is saying regards a "follow up" to training, but this then promotes the asking of the same question where all this started from,who pays? I hand out my contact details to those that want it after a demo, some do get in touch and ask pertinent questions about things I did in the demo and I am happy to discuss these popints: but what about the person that sees this as an opportunity to get free lessons? I charge expenses for demos on top of the fee so should we then charge per Skype call?

And why not? it's your time they are paying for.

These Skype demo's are like anything new, if there is a call for it then the issues will be ironed out but as far as I am concerned I don't see the need for relying on America or the USA for demonstrators over Skype, we have demonstrators / teachers over here who are not able to travel the length of the country so with this technology clubs would then have access to far flung demonstrators and vice versa, ideal media for a Saturday workshop.

Andy

PhilipS

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2014, 08:43:45 PM »
BHT, if you are going to try out Skype you will need to so some research on what it will and won't do. You need a high speed broadband connection to start with to be able to broadcast live with reasonable picture quality and speed of action combined with sync. sound. Also you may have real difficulty in using a conventional camcorder. Skype have dropped support for third party software. The camera, as far as I understand things needs to be attached via USB and the signal from a camcorder needs encoding.
I will be interested to see how things work out. There are other ways of achieving live broadcasts.
Philip.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2014, 09:52:25 PM »
Andy,

You're right about getting a wider range of turners within the UK.

The guy we're after, lives some 220 miles north of our club so mileage would be around £175 on top of his fee, plus overnight stay. Total = expensive!!!! Either that or it is a 4 hours each way drive for the demonstrator.

If we could do the demo via Skype, Google or whatever, the demonstrator saves the travelling cost and time and we save the mileage fees. We get our man and the demonstrator gets a fee.

As Philip says, there may be logistical problems to overcome. We have had contact via LinkedIn from one of the guys at Minnesota Woodturners who recently had Trent Bosch give a demo via skype to them. Colorado (where Trent lives) to Minnesota is about 1000 miles each way and a 16 hour drive so imagine the mileage costs or even plane fare for that demo!
FIrst reports say the demo went well and without hitches but am waiting for more detailed info on the set-up at each end. I know that Trent had two cameras going in Colorado but that's all so far.

I'm happy to do a quick test on skype and am just waiting for one of the commentators on this thread to confirm skype contact details and we'll have a go.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge