Author Topic: Affordable Carbon  (Read 5230 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Affordable Carbon
« on: July 14, 2014, 08:25:18 AM »
I have been wanting to try the new carbon tools for a while and after watching Mike Waldt's Youtube vid 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD5lf7S_YFY
I decided to give them a try and ordered from Hr Teagle's website at
http://www.ukwoodcraftandcarbidechisels.co.uk

He makes a selection of shaped carbide tip tools and I ordered the square one to give them a try. Ordered at 3pm and delivered the next morning. Can't complain about the service.

I was well impressed, a nice comfortable handle that was well finished, thick strong shaft and secure tip and it worked really well.

I guess, since the tips are obviously brought in, that one square cutter carbon tool is much like any other but what sets these apart for me is the price, Less than £25 including P&P for the amount of work invoked in making these is good value in anybodies book. I was so impressed I have just ordered  three  of the other shapes he does, if they all live up to the first I will be well chuffed.

I will update when I have given them a try.

Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Affordable Carbon
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:50:33 PM »
I've never used carbide tipped tools, so I will watch for your updates with much interest.

As I understand it, the carbide tools are a development on from those developed for and used on metals.

And here I am not 100% sure of my statements (so someone please correct me as necessary), the carbide cutters are not those for Ferrous metals but those for Brass and Aluminium machining. What I'm aiming at is that replacement tips may be cheaper from a tooling supplier than via a wood turning shop.

I can virtually guarantee that these cutters are not purpose developed for woodturning, we are just too small a market for such a large outlay by any manufacturer.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 08:44:12 PM »
I can virtually guarantee that these cutters are not purpose developed for woodturning, we are just too small a market for such a large outlay by any manufacturer.
You are spot on there DF. His site lists them as being cutters for plastics, wood and aluminium. The square one certainly shift a lot of wood when you want it to but, at another time,  also left a lovely smooth burnished surface.......Not sure how I did that but I am hoping some practice will find it again  :)
Regards
Graham

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 06:26:20 PM »
today i started a new topic then found this with the tools on that i was looking at - i was wondering how you have got on with them and if they have lasted well - i guess as the cutters are made for industy they will not blunt to easily? thanks, steve
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 08:55:15 AM »
Hi Steve.
The cutters do last a good long time and can be sharpened by rubbing on a lubricated diamond stone ( I will track down the youtube vid about it ) but I have to say that I very rarely use them now and they are no longer kept on my tool  racks. I think I was using them because of a general lack of skill and practice with the 'normal' tools and perhaps I have 'grown out' of them now.
Regards
Graham

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 09:03:06 AM »
Hi Steve.
The cutters do last a good long time and can be sharpened by rubbing on a lubricated diamond stone ( I will track down the youtube vid about it ) but I have to say that I very rarely use them now and they are no longer kept on my tool  racks. I think I was using them because of a general lack of skill and practice with the 'normal' tools and perhaps I have 'grown out' of them now.

Interesting to hear your update on this, Graham.....puts it into perspective.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 10:50:18 AM »
Hi Steve.

This was my worry as i want to learn the skill of the tools, however my lad wants to do a bit of turning som if i do get a set they might be good for him as he has mentioned pen turning - thank you for the reply its appreciated. steve
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?