Author Topic: Playing with textures!  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Playing with textures!
« on: September 19, 2014, 01:08:26 PM »
I've been experimenting, lately, with textures made with a sand-blaster, and have mainly tried very fine textures, like velour, on sycamore and birch. Today, though, i had a go on a piece of larch, which gave very different results. I'd turned a small bowl and then tried to make the annual rings resemble the ripples in the sand that you see (and feel) when the tide goes out. I was surprised at just how much effort has to be put into it, but really like the result.

Comments welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Playing with textures!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:28:49 PM »

Les, as with anything, hard work pays off, yet is it really a hard part, more tedious and appears time consuming, like stripping paint. Here you've a very soft finish, like the effect.

With any abrasive would a coarser material texture more rapidly.

Cheers  Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »

Hi David....I've used a 40-60 grit garnet, so the only way I'd get a much coarser finish would be to buy a far more powerful compressor. I exchanged messages with Pascal Oudet, as he seems to be quite an authority on this, and he was free with his advise....what a nice chap!

:
Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 02:52:47 PM »

Hi David....I've used a 40-60 grit garnet, so the only way I'd get a much coarser finish would be to buy a far more powerful compressor. I exchanged messages with Pascal Oudet, as he seems to be quite an authority on this, and he was free with his advise....what a nice chap!

:
Les

You can't get better advise than that, and you're sure playing on it with good results, Les.

Other than the force .. it's down to the type of timber as with Ash and the fast removal of the soft growth rings etc.

Have fun.  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:08:10 PM »
Yet another technique added to my 'to try' list.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 08:19:21 PM »
Les,

I've always liked the ability to bring out the grain as a texture. Not having a compressor I use flame (gas torch) and a brass brush (to take off the charring), the only problem is the only colour I get is black!

But I can see the advantages of using a pressurised abrasive, you get the effect and keep the woods beauty. Don't stop experimenting.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 08:49:47 PM »
Oak and ash can be texture by using a wire brush either hand held or in a drill. To get the effect that Pascal Oudet gets I suspect you need a very high powered sand blaster, his work has virtually all the softer grain removed.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:02:14 PM »
To get the effect that Pascal Oudet gets I suspect you need a very high powered sand blaster, his work has virtually all the softer grain removed.

Pete

That's just what the man said....and that it takes him anything up to 7 hours of sandblasting on each piece....I guess that the answer is to get it thin before you start blasting!

Les

Offline Bill Mooney

• iron
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:22:26 PM »
Hi Les, firstly can I thank you for your hospitality on my short visit to see you earlier in the month, it was well appreciated.
Try this link. I textured a pine bowl by shot blasting & using a rotary nylon filament brush to achieve a driftwood texture.
http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9308&KW=Driftwood+bowl&PID=88430&title=pine-driftwood-bowl#88430