Author Topic: 3 Counties Show Malvern  (Read 3560 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
3 Counties Show Malvern
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »

Any feed back from the 3 Counties Show last weekend will anyone be posting pictures?
John Smith

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: 3 Counties Show Malvern
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:13:29 PM »
Hi I thought the idea of going to other shows rather than woodworking shows was to spread the message seemed a good idea to me perhaps some

feed back would be nice.

Regards John ;)
John Smith

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:48:30 AM »
Hello John

I've just seen your post.  We didn't end up going to the 3 counties show because they decided, at the last minute, that we could only have an "outside space" which of course would have been totally unsuitable.  It is a shame but as a Charity we had persuaded the organisers to let us have the space free of change so we had no say in the matter.

However, I'm pleased to say that Russell Gibbs and myself did attend Cheshire County Show on behalf of the AWGB.

We had a great time, the weather was kind to us and we must have had several hundred visitors to the stand over the two day period. 
Russell has written a piece for the news feed on the website which will be uploaded as soon as Paul H gets a few moments.

We met many people who had never seen woodturning before and were astounded at what could be produced.  Our demonstrations of turning wefre well received and I was able to give a new Junior member who had never done any turning before the opportunity to turn a piece of wood to round and produce some beads and coves.  He went away enthused and all being well will attend Russell's club.  We also took two new memberships and directed many "lonely turners" to clubs in the area.

As one who actively supported this new initiative I believe we did the right thing. We managed to bring woodturning to the attention of the populace at large and increased its profile.  I also think we missed a trick.  We should have invited the president of the show and his party to visit the stand but we can do that next time. 

I do have some pictures but I seem to be unable to get them posted.  I'll have a go later.

Cheers Dave

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »
It sounds like you did a good job well done.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 05:34:09 PM »
Hi David,
            Thank you for the reply also the email I look forward to the photos when they are posted as I said it was their loss.It probably needs a few

more shows for the word to get around. As GBF said well done at the Cheshire show.

Regards John 
John Smith

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
aww, wish i'd known about the Cheshire show, i'd have popped down, oh well  8)
John Simon Lawrenson