Author Topic: Axminster/Poolewood 28 40 questions  (Read 10410 times)

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
  • A Kildare Man living in Saline, Fife. Scotland
Axminster/Poolewood 28 40 questions
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:58:26 AM »
Have the opportunity to buy an Axminster Supa Lathe. This, I'm told, is an upgraded Poolewood 28 40.

Anyone got any experience of them? The few bits of information I have managed to garner from various sources would indicate the Poolewood was a pretty good lathe. Have not been about to find out about the Axminster version.

Would be interested in all and any opinions, particularly any weak points. I read somewhere the main shaft and bearing setup was problematic, but could get no further info.

Thanks in advance
Conviction will divide many, doubt will unite them

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Axminster/Poolewood 28 40 questions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 12:48:46 PM »
I run a Poolewood. I have the earlier version with variable speed, not electronic. Only possible niggle is that the thread size for chucks is not standard so you will need to get an adaptor. Got mine via Peter Childs if I remember correctly. It's a good solid lathe and has all sorts of attachments for turning larger pieces off the bed. It will need bolting down properly as it is a very heavy lump of metal, I had to take mine apart to get it onto the bench.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 12:59:53 PM »
I run a Poolewood. I have the earlier version with variable speed, not electronic. Only possible niggle is that the thread size for chucks is not standard so you will need to get an adaptor. Got mine via Peter Childs if I remember correctly. It's a good solid lathe and has all sorts of attachments for turning larger pieces off the bed. It will need bolting down properly as it is a very heavy lump of metal, I had to take mine apart to get it onto the bench.

Pete

Thanks for that Pete.
Going to see this one on Friday. I have seen it before briefly when I bought blanks from the same chap. He seems like a decent sort, honest etc. He is getting out of woodturning.
He has had the bed extended, the way bars are now solid stainless.
It is the Axminster Supa Lathe though from what I can see, it is the same lathe. Think it is mechanical variable speed. Have you had any problems with the belt wearing? or problems with the main shaft and bearings?

What size is the spindle?

Overall would you recommend it?

Cheers

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 07:44:38 AM »
if you get in touch with poolwood engineering,he`s the chap that made these lathes,he can tell you more about them
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 10:45:37 AM »
if you get in touch with poolwood engineering,he`s the chap that made these lathes,he can tell you more about them

I called Axminster yesterday. Spoke with a very helpful chap called Alan who was able to tell me that they stopped doing this particular model in 2003. They no longer carry spares, or do any repairs. He suggested that I call Poolewood. Called Poolewood. Was talking to a chap there who told me that Axminster took this lathe over from them, made a few changes and had the lathe made in China. He was none too happy about the fact that Axminster route all inquires about this lathe to them, as Poolewood don't know what changes were made to it by Ax.

So there we have it. I'm giving consideration to buying a lathe of indeterminate age, with no spares backup and little in the way of service history. I think I need my head looked at!!!!!!!!

Going to have a chat with the seller on Friday, so we'll see what happens.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »
It really does sound like one to stay away from :(
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »
At least your going to look, armed with a good background knowledge.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »
At least your going to look, armed with a good background knowledge.

......might even be a bargining tool.......!!!!