Author Topic: What comments do you want in the gallery ?  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
What comments do you want in the gallery ?
« on: June 14, 2014, 04:24:41 PM »
I am aware, from this and other forums that many of you want something more than silence or  ‘I like that’ when you put pictures in the gallery but as a newbie it can be difficult to know what to say. I know if something leaves me cold, or excites me when I see it but I don’t necessarily know what is good or bad about it. That means I often wait to see what others say….. but then I feel like a fraud  ☺
I am not sure what sort of  response you actually want but I will try to be more constructive in my thoughts ( and maybe add a disclaimer ☺ )
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: What comments do you want in the gallery ?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »
Graham, I think most of us that enter pieces in the gallery only do so because we genuinely wish for honest constructive criticism. If you do not like a piece say so but say why as that is what most of us do. You must remember though that we have turners of all abilities here so sometimes the way you say something negative about someone's work should be said in a positive manner.......if you know what I mean. Also as a contributor  you should always be prepared to take what is dished out regarding your own work too. It is always very friendly and can lead to really interesting discussions on occasions. Finally the rule is if you cannot be nice do not say anything at all. :D

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 06:39:44 PM »
Hi Graham...when I joined this forum, and started turning, about 18 months ago, I submitted to the gallery some fairly basic work which I'd be ashamed to make, these days. However, that didn't stop the praise and constructive, critical back up that the members gave from being enormously helpful. There clearly has been a lot of consideration of skill level before comments have been made and that's what has been most useful to me. Yes, there has been uncomplimentary  comment occasionally, when I've really got it wrong, but there's always been explanatory advice, and that's what i have learnt from.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 07:12:29 PM »
I see work on here some times which I do not like at all ( just a personal thing ) however I can appreciate the time and skill that went in to it's creation and if the craftsmanship, form , and finish are excellent then I respect the piece and it's creator but I will not try to make something similar myself ! It can be hard to get things you want to say come across the way you intend by putting it in to print so I usually say nothing .... also as I am unable to get pictures of my own   work  on this site I feel it is not correct to make many comments ...

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 08:51:24 PM »
One good thing is to ask a question, how did you...? what finish...? or whatever the piece make you question in your own mind.

From that you will engage the turner and learn from it as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »
Good comments all. I particularly like Dragonflys, I have so much to learn  :)
Regards
Graham

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »
I posted  a few pieces of mine and asked for criticism and I got it. I doubt that anybody would make a malicious or destructive critic "per se"  so I'm ready to accept everything being convinced that there are very good turners out there whose ideas must be taken seriously and that without criticism there is little progress.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 07:24:39 PM »
Graham,

I don't think any of us would make a malicious comment about someone's work. I will admit that sometimes I have had trouble finding the right word when a form just does not work for me, but even then it is accepted that we are not all the same in how we view things.

At worst I'd offer constructive criticism on where I think it 'lacks' and how it could be improved with a few changes.

I hope that thus far I have not upset anyone.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 09:20:03 PM »

Good question Graham, I note to date 117 have read your post, I'm the 8th to reply .. yes it relates to posting on the Gallery .. yet it would be greatly appreciated if more would post and get involved, the more the merrier ... and that is a case in any thread ... you've made some fair comments in a few threads, more so than some pros' or lack of them.

Any Forum it is difficult to judge the work, less we know a person or one states they're new, I've seen a post on another Forum before of the persons first ever post, given it flagged newbie as well .. the piece, as you guess created feedback as to an excellently produced piece in every form .. That newbie was Mr Smiley himself ...  Les Thorne ..   ;) .. goes to show you may not know by a pseudonym the degree of a turners experience.

It's down to does a piece tick all the boxes, stand on it's merits, well executed, you can reflect on past posts or if in a Club, should it hold a Competition, the standards of work/detail/finish normally give a better impact with the size and being in the flesh to speak, gives an idea as to what to look for in critique, it's with anything the more anybody gets involved the more they've a better understanding.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 08:18:38 AM »
Thank you for your comments David. Much appreciated.
Regards
Graham