Author Topic: Craters in creation,stage 2  (Read 17131 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: Craters in creation,stage 2
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 11:10:36 PM »
haha,thought it was a strange question,should have realised ,I`m always doing that myself.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 06:02:54 PM »
latest pics,I made a jig to hold the work in the chuck,it consists of a piece of wood in the jaws,turned to match (roughly) the outside of the craters,then a four wedge was turned and sliced into four pieces so it could be fed through the hole and tightened with a piece of 6 mm threaded rod,2 nuts tightened together one end then another at the other end to pull it all together into the cup turned in the other piece on the jig,this was then loaded into the chuck,the tailstock brought up for support and the outside of crater 14 was turned(made a mistake,26 chucking points not 28 ).Now time to turn the inside,I opted for a 3 mm skew (photo`d)and 3 mm spindle gauge,but kept moving so supported with hot melt glue,will continue tommorrow and hopefully it`ll be more stable,cheers,Eric.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »
Eric,

it took me a minute or so to work out the homemade chuck, even from your description. Very clever design, and so far a fantastic WiP,

Thank you for the posts.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 04:54:10 PM »
Fantastic :) love to see people making chucking jaws and systems it helps us expand Wood turning beyond what the manufactures offer us .

Clavico

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »
very interesting, Eric and thanks for showing!

robert

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »
only trouble is I`ve had to make 2 new sets of the little wedges today,where on turning point 19,swine thing kept coming orf,so decided to make a new bit to fit the errant chucking point,that fits in the chuck,lots of glueing been done today,rebuilding the chucking point in question,will have another go tommorrow,fingers crossed touch wood and all that,cheers,

Eric.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »

All these things are sent to try one and if at first ..  ;) .. Great going, Eric.

I'm noticing with the corner turned craters the overlap is cutting into it's neighbour, you've got this covered that we'll never notice in the finished result.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 09:43:02 AM »
yes,the flats weren`t properly inline,so it thew out the opposite one when it came to turning,so some got a bit close,but all will be revealed in the end product,still got to decide what to do with the lump of wood left in the middle,got a couple of ideas for that to,cheers,

Eric.

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 06:02:17 PM »
hows this project going im sat on the edge of my seat wating for updates

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 07:46:13 PM »
Sorry all for the delay,been a bit busy,wife found lots of jobs for me to do,new fence at the front,more trellis at the back,re-decorate the kitchen,then prepare for her Strawberry Tea  last Saturday(28th June),which we raised £317.46 pence for the breast cancer charity.I have been sneaking of whenever poss to do a bit of carving,but thats all by hand and carving chisels at the moment,as I broke the inner drive of my high speed motor`s flexydrive again,will have to order two so I have a spare this time,I will post some pics of the carving,probably in the morning(2nd July),cheers,

Eric.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
sorry no photo update,I`m sitting here typing one handed with my arm in a high sling,after an altrecation with a carving chisel this morning,I spent 4 hours in A and E seeing various nurses then doctors,then the plastic surgeon came to see me(I did a good job this time),got to go into hospital for an emergency operation tommorrow so thay can try to repair nerve damage the 1/2" carving gauge did to my fingers,I made the mistake and cardinal sin,of putting my hand in front of the gauge,it slipped and stuck in right between the 1st and second fingers,instant blood everywhere,pumping out literaly,duely packed it with kitchen roll my son passed to me out of the kitchen,he then ran to a friend to get the lift to hospital,will have to see if the op works now,or I`ll have 2 permanently numb fingers.BE careful people,HANDS behind the chisels/gauges when carving,cheers,

Eric.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 12:32:26 PM »
Sorry Eric, hope everything goes well for you. Surgeons can do wonders these days at re-joining nerve endings if they are caught in time. Best of luck  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »
sorry no photo update,I`m sitting here typing one handed with my arm in a high sling,after an altrecation with a carving chisel this morning,I spent 4 hours in A and E seeing various nurses then doctors,then the plastic surgeon came to see me(I did a good job this time),got to go into hospital for an emergency operation tommorrow so thay can try to repair nerve damage the 1/2" carving gauge did to my fingers,I made the mistake and cardinal sin,of putting my hand in front of the gauge,it slipped and stuck in right between the 1st and second fingers,instant blood everywhere,pumping out literaly,duely packed it with kitchen roll my son passed to me out of the kitchen,he then ran to a friend to get the lift to hospital,will have to see if the op works now,or I`ll have 2 permanently numb fingers.BE careful people,HANDS behind the chisels/gauges when carving,cheers,

Eric.

ouch i know whats that like a few years a go a resaw blade uncoiled its self unexpectedly ripping through the nerve in my finger i now have no feeling in the end of it
i hope you heal well and fast :)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 11:24:02 PM »
Eric

Fingers Crossed it's all ok  :)

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 04:28:40 AM »
Eric

Fingers Crossed it's all ok  :)

Ed
What a tease you are, Ed.....I don't think that poor Eric will be able to cross his fingers when they're swathed in bandages  ;)
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.