Author Topic: The Road to Oz  (Read 5860 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Re: The Road to Oz
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 03:25:21 PM »
Malcy - if you are still there I have thought about this and I think one cannot make a Mobius strip from assembled cone sections (essentially because there is no twist).  What do you think?  Meanwhile I am having a go at making one using glued strips of veneer sandwiched up - this clearly works geometrically but it is hard to keep the joints tight!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 09:15:26 AM »
It is not woodturning but it works. Needs care to make the layers tighter (I used clothes pegs).  3*1.2m veneer strips glued up - about 100mm across.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »
Hi Will. Yes you can make a Möbius strip with the twist in a similar way, although I have to confess I have not done this myself. The master at this is Malcolm Tibbetts in USA. Go to his website at tahoeturner.com and see some of his amazing work using tubes and ribbons, all segmented, some turned and some carved and some both. Best of luck. Malcolm.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 03:45:24 PM »
Malcy - thanks!  They are spectacular and clearly you can do a Mobius this way, though it seems you have to work at it (most are not and those that are are pretty complex - I am not sure if this is necessary).