Author Topic: Foot Switch  (Read 3650 times)

Offline MCB

• gold
Foot Switch
« on: May 19, 2014, 06:22:35 PM »
I've  been thinking about Safety recently and realised that it would  be a good idea if I  had a foot switch in the power supply for equipment like my pillar drill.

Then I  could  start and stop it while using hands for something else.

I  envisaged an extension lead with a suitable switch between the plug and socket.

I  know that Axminster sell one but at £90 - and it struck me that something less costly might be available.

I've  tried searching the www - but without success.

Does anybody have any suggestions, please?

With best wishes and thanks. 

MC

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Foot Switch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »
Might be worth looking into this... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Palm-Foot-switch-black-240v-/181408911394?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2a3cd05022

I'm not very knowledgeable about matters electrical, so I check it out with the supplier first, but it looks OK.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Kevin Hanley

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »
Have a look at a pre4vious thread regarding a lathe foot switch.

I ended up using an IMO Precision Control Systems foot switch bought off ebay - easy to wire in and works a treat!

Kevin

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 11:15:37 PM »
Have a look at a pre4vious thread regarding a lathe foot switch.
Kevin

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I  remember that thread but it dealt with a foot switch for a particular lathe whereas I'm  looking for an extension lead with a foot switch in the middle so that I  can connect whatever power tool I'm  using - the drill press was an example - through the foot switch.

I  understand that this sort of thing is  commonly available in the Untied States (but they have mains supply at a lower voltage)

As I  wrote, Axminster sell something entirely suitable for £90 and I  guess that another company must offer something similar (but at a price that's more reasonable)

I  thought that one of the well-informed and helpful people who read this might be able to point me at a ready made solution.

With best wishes and thanks again. 

MC

YewTube

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 09:36:26 AM »
If your drill is newish it will have an NVR switch (green-On, red-OFF buttons). If your footswitch removes power before this switch then the only way to get the drill to run is to switch ON at the footswitch and the press the green button.

Somewhat defeats the use of a footswitch unless you wish to use it as an emergency STOP.

Bill

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »
I don't understand why you feel you need this type of switch on a pillar drill.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:21:49 PM »
I don't understand why you feel you need this type of switch on a pillar drill.

I  did use Pillar Drill as an example.

As it happens, the buttons are poorly located.

Bill's comment about modern tools having NVR switches suggests that I  should  check my tools! which I  will do when it stops raining!

With best wishes and thanks. 

MC

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 05:07:03 PM »
If your drill is newish it will have an NVR switch (green-On, red-OFF buttons). If your footswitch removes power before this switch then the only way to get the drill to run is to switch ON at the footswitch and the press the green button.

Somewhat defeats the use of a footswitch unless you wish to use it as an emergency STOP.

Bill

I've  checked and Pillar Drill does have NVR switch - but band saw doesn't.

A footswitch for emergency stop might be a good idea though

MC