Author Topic: Early Bert Marsh Influence  (Read 7886 times)

Andy Coates

Early Bert Marsh Influence
« on: May 23, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »
When you look back at old images of your turnings it's easy to see the influence of Bert Marsh...

the news today reminded me of some of the Bert Marsh-type vessels I've turned. I had a look back and found these from (I think) about four years ago or so...

the first are natural wood, hawthorn in this case, and the second the same but in yew and with colouring (because I like to colour...and especially yew because it gives some people the shudders when I colour yew!)

I think many forms such as these are turned, and I still make them from time to time, and I don't know if Bert was the first and deserves credit, but some forms seem to have been around so long they are almost in the public domain, but Bert Marsh was an influence on me via his book, Bert Marsh - Woodturner, so I guess these are due to Bert.

Any other Bert inspired work out there?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Early Bert Marsh Influence
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »

Andy, At this time it's nice to see the Bert Marsh trademark, Crocuse form bowl, his book, printed GMC ISBN 0 946819 51 3 is excellent for design and form for bowls and boxes as well, having check GMC it looks to be no longer stocked...  great same.

In the early 90's the very first bowls, if photographed did not come out well, film wise, you'd never now if any good till the pictures came back or since then have been lost, so I have none of the B.M. bowl images taken at the time..    ??? ... and my digital images more resently went with a comp crash..

Maybe it's something that can be done, for everyone to make a B.M. classic form.   Thank you for the post.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

BarryMobbs

Re: Early Bert Marsh Influence
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »
 Bert Marsh is one of the reasons I started woodturning. Whilst on holidy in Devon I was browsing round a street market and came across his book ' Bert Marsh - Woodturner' which I purchased. Having previously looked at the rather poor items on display at an adjacent woodturners stall I was delighted to find out from Bert what could be produced from a piece of wood. When I got home I got my first lathe and started turning.
 I regularly look at this book and tend to use it as a reference to see if my turning is getting anywhere near his standard and every time I think 'not yet but maybe one day ......'
 This natural edged yew bowl was certainly inspired by Bert.