Author Topic: Titebond glues  (Read 3614 times)

thebowlerhattedturner

Titebond glues
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:23:52 PM »
I have just been watching Dennis Keeling's DVD on segmented turning.He mentions that Titebond 2 leaves a yellow line on the work. I am about to start a comission which is segmented and decided to use this glue for the first time.
(I normally use the stuff in the green bottle)The job I have to do is in Ebony so wouldn't look so good with yellow joints.Any comments from experience would be appreciated.

toolie

Re: Titebond glues
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 12:09:40 AM »
pardon the pun but i'll get stuck in and confirm that titebond II does leave a yellowish line when dry.
I have used Wudcare 5 min super fast PVA which dries clear and seems to stick as good as titebond II.
I have recently ( a few days ago ) bought some Unibond "no more nails express" which dries clear but I have only done some small test joint
I haven't used it on a proper project.

Dave

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 08:27:05 PM »
Hi Dave,
           thanks for your reply, I told a lie it was Titebond 3 not 2. However I did a test on Ebony and it doesn't seem to show up. Cost me 8 quid so I'm gonna use it anyway. If it shows up it will become a feature of the design!
Regards
John

Offline simon

• copper
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:49:57 AM »
Hi John,

I have added a couple of drops of dye to glue before to good effect if it is a problem showing.

Also - I think titebond make a glue designed for dark woods although I think it is just charged at a premium for them to add a couple of drops of dye rather than you!

BRgds

Simon

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:55:33 PM »
Simon,
         thanks for the reply. The thing is I had already bought the glue for this job never having used it before. But in the end I did a test piece and there doesn't seem to be a problem at all. At the time of writing this I have glued up 15 rings in Ebony and I'm pleased to say you struggle to see the joints, although I am using Titebond 3 and not 2 as previously stated. I too have used dye in glue before now but you have to be a bit careful that it doesn't stain the wood before you clean the glue off.
Regards
John