Author Topic: Crown Revolution Hollowing System  (Read 7166 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Crown Revolution Hollowing System
« on: April 27, 2014, 10:47:02 PM »
The head just sheared of my Crown Revolution Hollowing System Tool and then a band saw blade went bang.

Has anybody else had trouble with the Crown tool? I shall be making a phone call or two in the morning.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Crown Revolution Hollowing System
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 11:03:16 AM »
Crown have a very good reputation for putting things right, so there should hopefully not be any problem when you report this to them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:14:10 PM »
Hi All

I purchased this from Styles & Bates, when I phoned them this morning they contacted Crown who are replacing the shaft, stating this should never have happen.

So all's well I'll be able to get back to hollowing out my vases in the next day or so.

Ed

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:58:16 PM »
  Hi Ed  ..    were you actually hollowing with that tear drop shaped scraper tip , or just using it for a finishing cut ?   The size ( contact area ) of the cutting tip makes a huge difference to the stress applied to the shaft ( and turner !)  and were you a long way over the tool rest ?  I had a hollowing tool break at the shaft / handle joint once after years of abuse  ( early years I add ! ) and I now have made my own shafts from mild steel bar .. up to 4 foot long and 1 inch in dia  .. no handle as such just a long thick shaft ... but I almost only use 6mm  half round tips and I can cut / scrape,  fast  and with out too much effort  but at times the WOOD breaks NOT the tools .... ha ha     Terry...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:31:08 PM by TWiG »

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:01:53 PM »
Hi Terry

I was using the the ring cutter on green walnut but its was not cutting. This is only the roughing out, I found the tear drop scrapper did a better job just taking it easy and it was doing a good job. I was on my second vase and only about 4" in and the head just sheered off. These are not very big and only about 7" deep.

I had a chat with Dave Styles at Styles and Bates and he told me he had stop a lathe with me without damage to one of these tools, it looks like there's a fault line in the steel. But as I said Crown have been very good they are sending out a replacement.

I would not like to be in your shoes when hanging on to a 4' steel bar with a cutting tip on the end :) :) the deepest I've gone to at the moment is around 12" and that took some work but it's great fun.

Ed

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:08:47 AM »
when I first started deep hollowing,I made a shaft out of 1/2" bar sliced halfway through lengthways at the end with a large teardrop cutter at the end,was making 12" deep vases at the time in well seasoned wood,cracked a few pices of wood,shattered a few pieces,never broke the shaft though,but looking at the shaft on the crown tool it isn`t very thich by the look of it,even so,you would have to get a hell of a digin to break it.
welcome to my woodturning world

Mark Sanger

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 07:16:16 AM »
Hi edbander

sorry you have had a problem with your tool, there is a lifetime gaurantee on all Crown tools with their aftersales and customer care being top in their ethos as you have found.

From time to time things don't go to plan at which time it comes down to how it is sorted out.

I am interested to know why you were not able to get the super ring to cut as it should cut green walnut like a hot knife through butter. Give me a ring on 01747 821644 to discuss, look forward to hearing from u soon.