Author Topic: Video instruction  (Read 11720 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Video instruction
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 11:32:59 AM »
MCB

I'm in the office today and on the PC in Firefox it's still called "New Private Window" so I guess unless you can get a newer Firefox it's a no-go for you.

Ed

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
MCB

I'm in the office today and on the PC in Firefox it's still called "New Private Window" so I guess unless you can get a newer Firefox it's a no-go for you.

Ed

Perhaps a Mac expert will see this and resolve the difficulty

One lives in hope!

MC

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 01:53:14 PM »
MC,

I'm not an Apple expert by any means but Firefox V2.0.0.14 is old.  Can you click on it's 'help' menu option the 'About Firefox' menu option. After a few seconds the window that opened should display if Forefox is 'up-to-date or not.

For example my version is V28.

If it does need updating, do that first and then we'll be able to step on from their.

Bryan

As far as I understand the situation, there's NOT a newer version that will run on  OS10.4.11

And 10.4.11 is the most recent that will run on my Mac.

So I guess that I'm b*gg*red

MC

Hi MC,
I use a Windows PC not a Mac so this may not help. My version of Firefox is 17.0.1. There is a function under the Tools menu to Start Private Browsing (Ctrl+Shift+P if you prefer keyboard direct commands). However, my understanding of 'Private Browsing' is that it only prevents YOUR computer storing details of the websites you visit and was implemented for users of shared computers, so other users of that computer could not see your browsing history. Also useful if you are trying to arrange something for your 'other half' and don't want her to find out what you are planning. :o
This will not prevent websites that you visit from tracking your IP address when you visit them, and that is what is mainly used for targetted advertising.

I am aware there is software around to supposedly 'anonymise' your internet presence, but they tend to cause their own problems, often preventing websites you wish to view from responding.

As 'dragonfly' said earlier on, tracking is not malicious, and it has never affected my overall performance on the 'net, so it does not bother me, and I think the concerns have overtaken the excellent resource offered for free by Stuart Batty. I find them a great source of information and am steadily working through all of them.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
BIG SNIP......However, my understanding of 'Private Browsing' is that it only prevents YOUR computer storing details of the websites you visit and was implemented for users of shared computers, so other users of that computer could not see your browsing history. Also useful if you are trying to arrange something for your 'other half' and don't want her to find out what you are planning. :o
This will not prevent websites that you visit from tracking your IP address when you visit them, and that is what is mainly used for targetted advertising.

Anything that would speed up the way my computers display web pages would be a good thing - and I often see the download is progressing [or not!] when the USEFUL content has apppeared.

However, I'm the only person who uses my computers - so I won't worry further

Best Wishes and Thanks

MC

Offline MCB

• gold
Video instruction - but inaudible audio!
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 06:10:06 PM »
I've  now tried looking at the first of the films and, although the picture is fine, the soundtrack is  inaudible

I have volume on my computer turned to maximum and there are five vertical bars under the picture.

Any suggestions, please ?

MC Black

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 01:57:11 PM »
I have come late into this discussion and think that the videos are brilliant.  There was a quote earlier on about targeted advertising.  I don't know how many people are aware of this on the forum but you can easily and effectively block all advertising on your web browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome etc.), by downloading a free add-on called Ad-block Plus.  More info HERE and HERE

Tim

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »
The very best instruction videos I have seen.  I have learnt loads from watching them. 
     Thanks for the link Nick.
              Haggy

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »
Excellent vids, just right for a novice like me
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?