Author Topic: Sad news - Dave Atkinson  (Read 915 times)

Offline Valkrider

• Administrator
  • bronze
    • TurnLincs
Sad news - Dave Atkinson
« on: July 11, 2023, 12:43:17 PM »
It is with great sadness that we have to report the death of one of our Life Members, Dave Atkinson on the evening of the 8th of July.
 Dave held many posts on the AWGB Executive including Treasurer at which time he undertook much work to transition the Association to Charitable Status and put us on a strong footing for the future, following a spell as Vice Chairman he took on the post of Chairman and lead from the front bringing about many changes that are still in force today. Dave unfortunately had to resign due to ill health problems and after treatment for Prostate Cancer he appeared to be in remission. He was a great advocate for men of a certain age to be tested and his advice on this has saved me and others.
Dave demonstrated woodturning extensively and was always happy to share his knowledge with anyone, particularly his skew work and thread chasing.
When I took up the role of Chairman, Dave who was a close personal friend who brought me into the Executive, offered to help and was co-opted in as Vice Chairman where he pushed ahead many of the things that were necessary. However the return of his illness forced his resignation.

I was pleased to be with Dave last Friday the 7th July before he had to be rushed to Hospital. Dave was always a very outgoing and welcoming  guy who could be relied on to speak clearly and get things done, the Executive along with his family, friends and the woodturning community will sorely miss him.
Russell Gibbs AWGB Chairman