Author Topic: Yikes!  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Yikes!
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:57:05 AM »
Yikes! I had no idea that junk such as this was still being marketed. It reminds me of those awful drill-accessory-lathes that used to be sold 30 years ago......and never caught on because they were so awful!

Les.

p.s. ... did I mention how awful it is?

p.p.s. ... interesting guard  ;)
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Yikes!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 06:31:40 AM »
Les

Junk like what??? Is it something that you have turned :)

Ed

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:49:01 AM »
A picture of what your talking about would help Les.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 03:48:46 PM »
Hi guys....I'm not sure what has happened to this thread, but when I posted it, I included a link to an item on Ebay. The link seems to have de-materialised and what's more, the item has been removed from sale, so is no longer listed. It was a very modern version of those awful drill-driven lathes that had just about enough torque to turn a toothpick.

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 04:27:30 PM »
Hi guys....I'm not sure what has happened to this thread, but when I posted it, I included a link to an item on Ebay. The link seems to have de-materialised and what's more, the item has been removed from sale, so is no longer listed. It was a very modern version of those awful drill-driven lathes that had just about enough torque to turn a toothpick.

Les

... Like this one.. From http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-drill-powered-woodturning-lathe ...

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »
Hi Dewi....the same basic principle, but the drill mount was independent to the lathe bed, so goodness knows how it was all aligned, and there was a huge, clear acrylic screen going right over the drill and the headstock. The picture of the lathe showed the operator's hands underneath the screen...how awkward would that be!
Les

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 04:41:27 PM »
I got back into turning about ten years ago when my FIL passed away and I was left his drill/lathe. It took me less than a week to realise how much I loved turning (learned at school) and how limiting it was. Mine had a foot pedal to control the speed, don't know if the Axminster one has.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »
Hi Dewi....the same basic principle, but the drill mount was independent to the lathe bed, so goodness knows how it was all aligned, and there was a huge, clear acrylic screen going right over the drill and the headstock. The picture of the lathe showed the operator's hands underneath the screen...how awkward would that be!
Les

Les, I've an idea as to what you mean, saw somethink like it on Eboot, could have been the same. I had a Black & Decker stand into which the D' series gold color drill fixed to make a grinder/buff/what need you fixed drive, come across these as a lathe setup.

Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 07:23:56 PM »
Evening All
Don't knock these old drill/lathes. For lots of people, myself included, this was their first "lathe". I had mine when I was fourteen, and was not too pleased when the drill capitulated after a fortnight. However 55 years on, I am still turning. It gave me the bug and I have loved it ever since. You're right though, they were crap!!!!!
Roger G

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 08:45:12 PM »
Evening All
Don't knock these old drill/lathes. For lots of people, myself included, this was their first "lathe". I had mine when I was fourteen, and was not too pleased when the drill capitulated after a fortnight. However 55 years on, I am still turning. It gave me the bug and I have loved it ever since. You're right though, they were crap!!!!!
Roger G

Hi Roger....well then, I stand corrected. Anything that gets more people into turning cannot be a bad thing. Glad you stuck with it!

Les

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »
Hi guys. I started turning many years ago with a similar setup that I made myself using a B&D drill. It got me hooked on turning and I soon bought a proper lathe partly because I was being deafened by the drill noise. Nevertheless, it got me started into a wonderful hobby. Malcolm.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »
the picture woodesign shows is the the same as my first lathe,if your on a low budget and want to try something turning,its a good cheap way to do it,I turned for about 7-8yrs on one of these,may longer actualy,make that 10-11 yrsafter a couple of years making spurtles and 2" bowls,small boxes,I upgraded it with a 1/2 HP industral motor a friend gave me,was a pain changing speed as I had to change pulleys to do so,which took about 20 mins,but could then turn stuff to its full capacity of 5", it vibrated a bit,being ally,but the most important thing is,it got me into woodturning,if I had had to buy a more expensive machine at the time,I wouldn`t have got into woodturning as I wouldn`t have been able to afford a more expensive machine at the time,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 01:56:56 PM »
I bought my first lathe in 1955 It was the B&D setup, It got me back into woodturning -sort of. As others have said the noise was  the biggest bugbear. But the system worked. I used it until I joined the RAF.
John
John English