Author Topic: What Would You Do  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
What Would You Do
« on: March 16, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
I have a small problem I think a picture first might help.

I have roughed out the top bowl in the picture and then I used a parting tool to go in at an angle with the hope of getting two bowls out of one piece of wood. This has left about 4" still attached in the bottom.

Now I have tried to break this away with no success the wood is still very wet would it be easier when this has dried or will I need to go in at a much shallower angle and end up with a shallow second bowl

The wood is beech

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: What Would You Do
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:06:10 PM »
4" is too much in my opinion, 2" max is what i like to leave. best bet for you mate is if you cant cut any more off that 4" joint put the blank on the floor and get a heavy hammer and hit one side of the interior lump  hard (and i mean hard) at about 3 o'clock then do the other side then the top and then bottom. if it hasn't come out by then you'll just have to cut more of the connecting wood away.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:00:17 AM »
Hi Derek

Could you not try a hacksaw blade or another type of flexible saw blade in the slot and try cutting it out

Ed

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:54:18 AM »
Hi Derek,  Does anyone at your club have a bowl saver ?
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:27:22 PM »
Thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately I am not a member of a club. Anyway I have gone for the wasteful method and turned it away I did not want to just hammer away at it and end up losing the large bowl.
I know it is only beech but at a good 12" diameter that is one reasonable sized bowl if it looks too plain i will add some colour to it or even texture or carve the outside

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 02:01:01 PM »
the large bowl will not crack mate. i had to do it on a couple of large buggers where the methods i have couldn't reach to the very center and ended up bashing them out and even on the delicate brown oak it was ok. as long as you only hit the center section there is no stress on the outer bowl.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 04:18:33 PM »
the large bowl will not crack mate. i had to do it on a couple of large buggers where the methods i have couldn't reach to the very center and ended up bashing them out and even on the delicate brown oak it was ok. as long as you only hit the center section there is no stress on the outer bowl.

Maybe try it on some of the others as I still have to rough turn another 10 pieces. So far have produced 11 carrier bags of waste a trip to the tip is in order

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 08:11:08 PM »
As it is cross-grain it should break reasonably easy , try wedges or a breaking bar ( lever )  There is no chance of this working on end grain though !