Author Topic: WS2000 Tool Sharpener  (Read 5915 times)

Paul Disdle

WS2000 Tool Sharpener
« on: February 05, 2014, 04:33:32 PM »
Rutlands have this on a silly deal WS2000 Tool Sharpener has anybody tried one? can you do a long grind on it?
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/pp+woodworking-workshop-equipment-sharpening-machines+d05000?promo=WS2000KIT

Thanks

Paul

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
Re: WS2000 Tool Sharpener
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:18:57 AM »
I have a similar grinder which I use for plane irons and my joinery chisels. i.e. they are great for flat bevels. Yes you could use it to create a long grind but you would still need to control the profile by your method of moving the tool during sharpening. That is  what causes the most difficulty for users and why they use jigs. or in my terms, guides. In my terminology a jig forces you to follow a set profile, a guide assists you. All of the so called grinding jigs I have come across, should be called 'guides' as they require the tool to be moved in the 'right' way to achieve the required grind. If you leave the tool in one position, you still remove metal and end up with a 'flat' on your profile.
This looks a good buy, but what are the costs for replacement wheels? They all need replacing at some time.
I may be biased but I have used a 6" basic bench grinder for all my woodturning sharpening, for many years. The grinder cost £35 (yes, a few years ago), replacement 'pink' wheels are around £20 and the Trugrind jig cost me around £90. Allows me to sharpen all my tools, with various grinds, easily and repetitively.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
Re: WS2000 Tool Sharpener
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 10:26:24 AM »
I had the 3000 model, it was excellent for honing but not for grinding or reshaping as there just wasn't enough abrasive. A 5" disc just gives too small an area of abrasive for grinding, the abrasive is worn out before the re grind is finished or at least that is what I found.
On a plus side I found that it wasn't as quick to build up heat in the tool steel as a dry grinding wheel so made grinding easier & more controllable, but in the end I got shot of it & bought a Pro sharp, which after 2 years I'm still extremely happy with.