Author Topic: Threading Jig (thread Cutter)  (Read 10403 times)

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
Threading Jig (thread Cutter)
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »
I am looking to get a threading jig for my lathe (as against thread chasing tools which I do not want) and wondered if anyone had any advice on what to get. 

So far the one that seems to be most reasonably priced and easy to use is the EZ Threading Pro Jig as described HERE  Only available in the USA, cost is about $259 or about £157.21 excluding shipping costs.  It can be supplied tailored for specific lathes (including my Nova DVR). It attaches to the lathe using the banjo which seems a neat solution and certainly works well with my other banjo jig which is the Woodcut BowlSaver. 

I like the fact that this thread jig uses the lathe to cut the thread whilst most other automated thread cutters seem to depend on using a router.

Anyone any experience of this jig or similar?

Any help gratefully received.

Tim

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Threading Jig (thread Cutter)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
Have you looked at this one on eBay.

The guy makes several useful tools for the lathe/turner.

You may need an adaptor as well for your chuck, but probably far cheaper than importing from America.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOODTURNING-LATHE-12tpi-THREAD-CUTTING-TOOL-JIG-/291062754427?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item43c4b12c7b
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:29:57 PM »
Have you looked at this one on eBay.

The guy makes several useful tools for the lathe/turner.

You may need an adaptor as well for your chuck, but probably far cheaper than importing from America.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOODTURNING-LATHE-12tpi-THREAD-CUTTING-TOOL-JIG-/291062754427?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item43c4b12c7b

Bryan - Very many thanks for that - looking at the description on Ebay it states that it is in fact the same as on the USA website of the link I posted above (the guy must export them to the States).  I had completely missed that.  At £89.00 (including carriage) it looks even better value.

Very many thanks (The usefulness of this forum and the generosity of the participants is demonstrated yet again!).

Tim

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:04:31 PM »
Hi Tim, I don't know if this is of any use to you Axminster Tools at there Nuneaton Store on the 21st & 22nd March a holding a woodturning Show
it is called "Ready Steady Turn" there will be 10 well known turners demonstrating. Also there is Miguel Lopez from Majorca demonstrating his Thread Turning Kit I hope this is useful.The Day is Free.

Regards John 
John Smith

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:49:21 PM »
Hi John - Many thanks for that info.  I was hoping to attend that event anyway but have even more reason to do so now.

As regards the The Ebay threading jig I have found a comprehensive review HERE

Thanks again

Tim

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 04:14:44 PM »
Hello Tim - my thoughts for your consideration. I have a home 'grown' jig but most of the numerous weaknesses identified in the review you highlighted are present on most banjo mounted systems. (The same also applies to sphere jigs). With the best will in the world and all the patience you can muster, unwanted movement (play) will be present despite your best efforts. There are too many poorly controlled variables IMHO. The only definitive setting is the height of the assembly. There is no provision for precisely locating the post to prevent rotation, which makes repeat setting virtually impossible. The fore and aft movement and swing of the babjo itself is infinitely variable in practise, making alignment difficult and repeats even more so. The production of the threads once alignment has been established is probably the best feature. Control of thread depth is more of a challenge. How do you accurately measure the depth of a thread to .040" ? I have produced matching threads up to 5.5" diam using a similar set up but with crosslide adjustment of the essential parameters. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but you might understand now why I hand chase threads. It is so much quicker and the results are more predictable than with anything other than the best (and consequently most expensive) jigs. Give me a bell if you still want to pursue this and regards as always.

Allan 

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:23:48 PM »
Thanks very much for your sound advice Allan.  Your comments and the jig review have gone a long way to persuade me to at least try my hand at hand chasing before embarking down the jig road.

Best regards

Tim