Author Topic: Tool Handles  (Read 10540 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Tool Handles
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 06:22:45 PM »
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong (that's the reason for this post) but am I right in thinking that "proper" ferrules have a very slight taper on them? Going back to when I was apprenticed (about 1843)I'm sure I can remember the "old boy" telling me that as the ferrule could then be tightened if it worked loose.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 07:00:27 PM »
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong (that's the reason for this post) but am I right in thinking that "proper" ferrules have a very slight taper on them? Going back to when I was apprenticed (about 1843)I'm sure I can remember the "old boy" telling me that as the ferrule could then be tightened if it worked loose.
Regards
John BHT

I think you are right John. Also a lot thicker than the copper pipe though I admit I use it on my handles.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 08:44:06 PM »
That's interesting John, I have just had a look at two of the ones I bought from Ashley Isles last year at yandles and although they have a bevel on the inside of one end there is no taper on either the 1" O/D or the 7/8" O/D. I made my first handle for a bowl gouge after returning from Yandles and didn't use any fixing agent, there was already a pip in it. It's been in the shed ever since and is still as tight as when I put it on (let's hope it stays that way).   --   Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 07:23:08 PM »
I use copper pipe for my ferrules and so far I have yet to have a failure.
The only ferrule that has split for me is on a paring chisel which got damp. I would take it back but I bought it 60 years ago and I cannot find the receipt!
Ron

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 10:16:21 PM »
It was always said Ron that good quality tools last you a lifetime. I have a Sorby paring chisel from when I was apprenticed. Still going strong. There seems to be something about the old steel that holds an edge better that the modern steels.
John BHT

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 11:50:40 PM »
I use copper pipe for my ferrules and so far I have yet to have a failure.
The only ferrule that has split for me is on a paring chisel which got damp. I would take it back but I bought it 60 years ago and I cannot find the receipt!
Ron

A reputable manufacturer won't split hairs about one of their tools being just out of guarantee period.

The Sale of Goods Act requires things to be of “merchantable quality”

MC

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 08:28:42 AM »
John,

Old edged tools were Cast or Warrented Steel, not the modern Tool Steel. They do take a far sharper edge but are very susseptable to bluing (drawing the temper) if ground a bit hard.

Somewhere in another thread I mentioned a chisel I'd had re hardened & not quite fully tempered, it takes a razor edge, is very hard and I'd watch it shatter if i ever dropped it, but what a tool.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

• platinum
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »
Ahh, a sharp edge, a thing of beauty. You know when sometimes in the workshop you just need to do something to calm down? for me it used be a couple of gaspers and a mug of caffeine, no gaspers now though so what to replace them with?
     Once I have my coffee I very calmly get a favourite wood chisel out along with the India sharpening stone, the slate one and the artificial one. I have a strip of leather on ply to strop with ,I don't grind but go through all the stones(just like the grits when sanding) and strop until I get a beautiful razor sharp edge. Over the years the back has become polished to a high shine and the satisfaction and relaxation I get from going through the motions is priceless.
   Dear Marg, am I normal? ;D
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »
John,

I understand the feelings you impart in your description (God I still miss my pipe), chisels yes but plane irons are my personal thing.

And if you're not normal, there is no hope for me either!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
if you have to ask if your'e normal,   your'e not!!!

doesn't everybody spend hours locked away in a workshop sharpening, turning, cutting blanks, sanding, oiling and polishing?

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 04:44:01 PM »
I have a set of Marples chisels that were my dads,they had the then newfangled red and yellow plastic unbrakeable handles,I was 7 or 8 at the time,was chuffed as I got his old ones which were his dads,I still have both sets,and no handle breakages on either set as yet,and still kept as sharp as my father kept them.
welcome to my woodturning world