Author Topic: Dragon wall hanging  (Read 3069 times)

GwilymF

Dragon wall hanging
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:41:34 PM »
Hi all, not done any turning for a couple of months due to a spell in hospital but now back turning. My grandson in W Australia wanted something to remind him of home and you can not get more Welsh than the red dragon and Celtic knots. This was turned, carved,and textured from one piece of ash 10" x 10" x 1 1/2" x 1/8" and the carved elements burnt and coloured. C&C's welcomed.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Dragon wall hanging
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »
Whilst I appreciate and like the carved work (being Celtic mind I am a bit biased LOL) I think that this wouldn't have half it's appeal without that texturing in the ash. It really works well for me at least. Lovely piece.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 04:52:30 PM »
..... I think that this wouldn't have half it's appeal without that texturing in the ash.....

Pete

I agree, Pete, but I'd add that whether it was by accident or by design, the swags in the grain, achieved by the way that the piece has been dished, also add a degree of interst.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:38:31 PM »
Gwilym,

I'm nor a Celt in any shape, size or form, but I have a huge collection of Dragons, I sit here with at least 6 surrounding me at my computer.

I agree, the backing plate make this piece, it's almost as if the dragon was within it rocky home or backed against a rocky outcrop of the cliffs it lives within. And having walked many of the classic distance and mountain walks in Wales I can see the feeling you are trying to impart by use of such a texture.

If this does not may your grandson want to revisit the hills and valleys, nothing will.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:27:41 PM »

Hi Gwilym, the lower picture speaks volumes of your dedication to thought, layout and your carving prowess.

The end result is a stunning piece, excellent detailed work that we have come to expect from you.

One young grandson should be well pleased.

So glad to see you're back at the lathe, and it's hope the best of health, can't keep a good Welshman down.

Take care.   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

GwilymF

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:36 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. I agree about the texturing, Ash is an ideal wood for this due to the hard and soft nature of the grain rings.
Gwilym 

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 06:45:55 PM »
Hi Gwilym
Another beauty, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh in "Show & Tell" night Wednesday ;)

Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 05:23:56 PM »
It fair stirs the ancestors lookyou
Brian