Author Topic: Amazing..  (Read 5224 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Amazing..
« on: January 09, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Andy Coates

Re: Amazing..
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »
Stunning. Such an understanding of material and tools. I've passed the link on. Great find, David.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 11:09:53 AM »
Saw this some time ago and had a quick go with some green wood. Rea;l;y really difficult to get it right....in fact I stopped trying as I ran out of time, and patience. Very skilful.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »
Saw this some time ago and had a quick go with some green wood. Rea;l;y really difficult to get it right....in fact I stopped trying as I ran out of time, and patience. Very skilful.

Pete

If we never try.. we never know .. well done on having a go .. far more than I've done ..  :-[ ..

It's looks for the finishing as it's a thing to occupy a cold night by the fire .. if you have one.. (fire) ..

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »
I think it's safe to assume that chisel he does the curls with is extraordinarily sharp.

Stunning, thanks for posting this one.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
I have seen sticks shaved up into little curls like that for use as firelighters by bushmen , however this guy has really perfected this and turned it in to an art form !  I am sure they are not sold for lighting fires though !

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »
Absolutely stunning work,that could be a good idea for a club competition,see how many have the patients to complete one with going bonkers with frustration trying to emulate this work,Regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
I think it's safe to assume that chisel he does the curls with is extraordinarily sharp
I think the words here should be just sharp. I understand what you are saying Brian but all of our tools should be this sharp when in use nothing extraordinary about them :)
regards
john BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
John,

I read what you say but to explain. Yes my tools are sharp, and my skews are cut to a more acute angle than most peoples (around 23 degree internal angle), so very sharp and it needs honing regularly.

But I have one wood chisel which I have had hardened and not quite fully tempered. Ground at 25 degrees and no secondary working bevel. So it takes a ridiculously sharp edge but is fairly delicate. It is used purely for paring timber, much as this film shows, so I stand by the ‘extraordinarily sharp’ statement.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!