Author Topic: a bowl i did  (Read 4452 times)

petjeffery

a bowl i did
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »
hope this work   please feel free to in form mee of what you think   it is made from  african paddock wood  

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: a bowl i did
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:06:18 PM »
Hi Pete,
           looks really good ,nice finish, well done.
Regards
John

petjeffery

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:21:46 PM »
thank you so much  for the kind words

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:36:07 PM »

Hi Pete,  This is a very nice footed bowl, nice design and finish, one of many to come, well done.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

petjeffery

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:42:44 PM »
thank you  i sure hope it will be many to come lol im getting right in to the turning again 

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:15:40 AM »
Hello Peta,

firstly, the finish looks great, though the image size doesn't allow much enlargement. I hope you know that Paduak dust can be an irritant and should be avoided wherever possible.

If I'm honest I think the shape of the bowl could be improved. The walls are a little too straight for my taste, and as a result you have a flat bottom in the bowl, and the foot (was it the chucking tennon?) seems too small for the size. A base should be about 1/3 of the overall diameter for a stable utility bowl. Decorative bowls have no such constraints of course.

But from where you were to now you've obviously come on leaps and bounds.

Glad you're getting back into it again.

petjeffery

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:43:37 AM »
thank you andy  i really did not know that paduak dust can irritant   my dad brought a blank for me from some were in dover   from a turning shop  i was wereing a mask and safy googles   thank you for letting me know about that   yer i was i bit like  you i did not like the foot on the bowl  as it does look to small  but i am very limtied  to how i can hold the work so had to use my chuck all i have is the chuck and the only set of  jaws that it come with  and i have 2centers  so i can turn the foot to hold it in the chuck  (would love some other tips on hold work if any one can help )  as for the walls  i was going to do them more sloopie  but my wife and her mum want straight walls as they said they do not offten see them   so that why the walls were straight   

i think i have come on well  and i am very proud  of how things are going   and hope i can become half as good as some of you on here 
as alway andy i can relie on you for your great help and advice  once again thank you for letting me know about the paduak dust 

Hello Peta,

firstly, the finish looks great, though the image size doesn't allow much enlargement. I hope you know that Paduak dust can be an irritant and should be avoided wherever possible.

If I'm honest I think the shape of the bowl could be improved. The walls are a little too straight for my taste, and as a result you have a flat bottom in the bowl, and the foot (was it the chucking tennon?) seems too small for the size. A base should be about 1/3 of the overall diameter for a stable utility bowl. Decorative bowls have no such constraints of course.

But from where you were to now you've obviously come on leaps and bounds.

Glad you're getting back into it again.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »
Hello Pete

Glad to see you are turning again.  As Andy says you have come on leaps and bounds since you started. 

Keep at it, as ever there is plenty of help available from the forum.

Cheers Dave