Author Topic: Axminster RDC100 Dust extraction  (Read 9351 times)

Offline Danny

• iron
Axminster RDC100 Dust extraction
« on: November 25, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »
Hi all,
I am new to woodturning and in the process of setting up a workshop in my garage.
I am at present looking at dust extraction and would like to know if anyone has used the Axminster RDC100.
I would appreciate any advice on this.

Danny

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Axminster RDC100 Dust extraction
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:02:51 PM »
Danny,

I have the RDC100. It's not a bad machine. I only have a small garage, so space is a premium, it fit's under my lathe and the posable hose can be positioned where I need the extraction. But...

It is noisy. It's basically a 'Henry', (the Vacuum cleaner with eye's), with a larger metal collecting bin and 4" hose. So I only use it when needed, most of the time I have and use a ceiling mounted Air Filter system.

If it's to be your only or first Dust Extraction system I'd certainly suggest otherwise, especially if you have space for something just a little larger, like the AWEDE2 Extractor or one of the next sizes up. Far quieter and expandable to a piped system around the workshop.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:09:34 PM »
Hi Dan, and welcome to the Forum and onto the slippery slope, but great fun of Woodturning.

Is this the model 'H' http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-rdc100h-vacuum-extractor ...  Being out of Axminster in the first place, you'll have good backup and service.

On the Vac. it looks very much like the early Ax WV100 Vac. which I have and I've had no problems at all with it ...

This model has greater advancements of today , more power, airflow, but important better filtration with the cartridge filter providing 1 micron, (mine has a cotton bag with paper outer)... my concern is the small 35L drum capacity if you wanted to collect shavings, not if you'd only collect dust and final shaving clean up. If I recall the WV has a 65L drum so less trips to the bin.

But as with any purchase, and I see you're planning this out, buy the best you can afford or save for the extra - Sale ... somethings (most) are a one off like the Vac. ... the Lathe could always become an ever upgrade as needs change .. whatever enjoy your turning and don't get put off ... and everyone on the Forum is here help .. if it may take a little time to reply.

Will watch as to what anyone else who has one will say.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Danny

• iron
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 11:18:22 AM »
Hello all,
Many thanks for your prompt and friendly replies.

If I opt for the RDC100H ( on offer from Axminster at £99 inc delivery!!) I may try and fit a box type silencer (seen at a woodcraft club) to quieten it down but I will need to visit the club again.

regards
Danny

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 04:00:55 PM »
Remember that the silencer will reduce the airflow as well as the noise so your extractor might lose some of it's effectiveness.

Offline Danny

• iron
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 02:33:31 PM »
Thanks for the info Paul.

I Have been looking at a Clarke CDE 1000 Dust extractor.(tank capacity 50 ltr)and would appreciate any feedback on this please.

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:11:19 PM by Doug Barratt »

Offline Danny

• iron
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »
Many thanks Doug, I've gone for the E-bay one.

Once again thank you all for the info and advice. (an excellant forum )

regards
Danny

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »
Danny,

It's what we're here for, stick around and join in as much as you can, you'll enjoy it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!