Author Topic: Phoenix Turner  (Read 37144 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Phoenix Turner
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2015, 04:13:16 PM »
agreed, you know where something will be then if you wish to show it to someone.

i've done the same thing myself on the other forum that myself and tom are on.

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »
A few new contributions from over the Christmas period... nothing flashy, but just completions of pieces that have long been rough turned.

A Tiger Oak HF (bit of an experiment), Cherry rim bowl, and Spalted Beech OG bowls.

Bit more here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phoenix-Turner/466495826726895

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.467938433249301.106578.466495826726895&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.466498770059934.106189.466495826726895&type=3

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2016, 09:59:07 PM »
Three very nice piece's I particularly like the hollow form.

Ed

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2016, 12:39:30 PM »

All Three Are Nicely Done Tom......  Cracking piece of Tiger Oak.... I`ll be going through mine .... might find the other half.
     Tony d

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2016, 01:20:22 PM »
I like all three, and each deserves its own thread....bit of a shame that they got added onto the end of an old thread....was there any reason for doing it that way?

My preferance is for the oak hf and I think that the double collar looks chunky and bold, which suits the grain quite well.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2016, 04:00:26 PM »
They all look very good indeed  !!   Great selection and use of wood , the brown / tiger oak is great and the spalted beech is about as spalted and dramatic as it can get before being no good at all , well done ..

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2016, 08:27:21 PM »
Thanks for the comments folks, quite surprised the HF has been received so well, I was unsure about it to begin with, but it has grown on me, perhaps it's just the wood :-).

-you know Tony we cut that Oak back in 2010! - good foreman you made too! :-)

Thanks Les, (thread continuation reason described previously)

Indeed Terry - spalted beech was on the limit and did require a tube of super glue...

Happy turnings.

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2016, 10:41:57 PM »
Some really lovely plum...
-getting the finish right was a bit of a pain - sanding sealed then Mylands Danish oil, but it was too shinny, so flatted it back with thinners then a mild buff.
Also wasn't quite dry enough, around 16% MC, so they have moved a little.

-more here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1026248904084915.1073741835.466495826726895&type=3

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2016, 11:28:52 PM »
In my book, the middle one of the three wins. It has a good definition to the rim between the bowl and the flat, and a solid edge to it. The first one looses one edge into the bark and the rounded-over edge of the last one just doesn't work for me.

Les

p.s. you'd have done better to have started a new thread with these, rather than keep tagging your work onto the end of such an old thread. There may well be members who have read the thread before, and don't bother to reopen it to see your new posting.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »
nice work tom. nice colour too, i got a bit of 12" diameter damson and it's mostly sap coloured.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2016, 06:45:44 PM »
Nice work Tom , you have done well for them not to have split / warped too much whilst drying , nice colour as well ( was it Pissard plum ? )  no sniggering it is a real species !! ( purple leaved  ) I have recently made a few similar from Birch and Ash , in the same style as 2& 3 with hard edges and soft / rounded, and not sure which I prefer really but one similar to no 2 sold quickly after going on sale , and I now have a couple of Yew ones to finish as well .... Terry

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2016, 09:04:47 PM »

Hi Tom nice piece of work I love the grain & colours of Plum I do think you should take the advice given and start a new thread for each new piece.I makes for easier for viewing.
                                             Regards John

John Smith

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »
Thanks for the comments folks.

These pieces did move and split a lot during drying (after rough turning) despite my best efforts, in fact Les that's why the 1st one brakes into the bark, as I had to do that to make it 'clean up', otherwise it would have been like the middle one.

Don't know if it's Pissard Terry, I didn't see the tree in leaf, but quite possibly. -look forward to seeing your work-in-progress completions. -and yes these shapes do sell well, these have already gone.

Shame we missed you at the club last week John, you could have seen these in the 'flesh', not sure I've got much left now, a few members have made some pieces with it...

Cheers.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2016, 07:53:05 PM »
All 3 have their plus points, The first the really sharp edge to the bowl section, the second is the overall balance of the shape, the third is far more dramatic with the 3 legs of the crotch. But if pushed, it'll be the middle one (just), they are all great looking and well made and finished.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2016, 07:44:28 PM »
All 3 have their plus points, The first the really sharp edge to the bowl section, the second is the overall balance of the shape, the third is far more dramatic with the 3 legs of the crotch. But if pushed, it'll be the middle one (just), they are all great looking and well made and finished.

Thanks,

Actually I think the middle just photographed best... :)