Author Topic: Phoenix Turner  (Read 36522 times)

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
Phoenix Turner
« on: November 24, 2013, 09:37:16 PM »
Hello fellow turners, after enjoying viewing others turnery and a little prodding from georg (Diane & Tony) I thought it about time I post some of my work.

This is a Yew hemisphere (sort of) 320mm diameter sat on a toroid. Rough turned & kiln dried to 5% MC, with almost no movement, finished turned to a wall thickness of about 7mm. Finished with Treatex hard wax oil, sanded back and Bee's wax finally.

C&C welcome.
Tom.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Phoenix Turner
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:55:18 PM »
tom not what i seen early today we need another photo of it the right way up tony.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:10:27 PM by georg »
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »
Hi Tom...I never, ever tire of looking at yew, there can be few timbers world-wide that surpass it's beauty. I love what you've done with this piece and a great idea with the ring for displaying it. A great opening piece fpr your journey into posting pics in this forum. Thanks so much for posting such a pleasant item.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:01:31 AM »
Tom,

Welcome to the forum as a posting participant, it's always good when someone who's been reading for a while decides to start posting work for us to see. Thank you for being the latest.

Yep we definatley need to see the form the other way up - or is it meant to be seen in this position?

I like the idea of the torus as a foot to support the form. I've turned a few curved base forms and allowed them to find their own balance point, but the seperate ring is a whole new idea to think about.

A good smooth curve to the form and a fine finish, although if the image could have been reduced in size a little it would be easier to see.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »
Thanks for the +ve comments.

Not sure why some of you can't see both the pics in my original post, but I've resized them and re-posted below. Also see the link.

It'll take me a while to get used to the nuances of the posting mechanics here, hopefully these pics are clearer.

(note to Mod's, preview post doesn't show attachments, and also would it be possible to have a photo auto resize function, this would greatly aid some of the less computer savy users on the forum - me included)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phoenix-Turner/466495826726895?id=466495826726895&sk=photos_stream

I'll try to post some more detail later...
Thanks.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:22:13 PM »
that,s better tom magic link
tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:32:07 PM »

Hi Tom, If there is any timber that is of note for what it can yield, then Yew is well up there, if not top and as you can harvest yout own timber, you've a large pick of the best, as well as Tony's supply.

Like Les, I love to see the results of a beautiful piece, which is shown here.

You've some very impressive work on your website & FB... and that's one serious Stihl saw.

That you for sharing.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »
Tom,

just taken a peek at your website. I recognise them hills, I lived and worked at the northern end of them for 5 years.

What a wonderful part of the country to live in.

Oh, and you gallery showes some wonderfully turned and finished pieces.

Bryan

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 11:20:11 PM »
Thanks for taking a look at my website/facebook pages, they both need some attention/new material though, glad to share.

More on the Yew hemisphere: this was not only an experiment in design but also on how to improve how Yew ages. I've turned quite a few pieces in Yew, it is a fantastic wood, hard work, but the vividness of the material on a well executed piece can be amazing.

I used Treatex in an attempt to seal the wood to prevent it oxidizing and losing that vividness, that was also the reason for taking the M/C so low. How ever I struggled to get a good finish with the Treatex, nice sheen, but runs/brush/cloth marks, so after re-applying about 4 times, I gave up and flatted it back before the Bee's wax. Hopefully the sealing properties on the hard wax oil will still be present.

Also I include for interest an unusual chucking method, and some vivid Yew.

woody

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 08:17:15 AM »
Love it Tom Yew in my reckoning is one of the most beautiful wood in all of gods creation looking on your F/B i envy you with such a vast wood supply keep the photos coming I do enjoy looking at other peoples work

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 07:08:35 PM »
Whoa, I bet that ratchet strap through the balance out.

Offline Bellringer75

• copper
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »
Have i seen this bowl on Arbtalk fourm

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »
Whoa, I bet that ratchet strap through the balance out.

Not noticable actually, the apple wood faceplate (a rough turned bowl) was quite heavy/dense, so didn't effect the CofG to much.

Have i seen this bowl on Arbtalk fourm

Yes, I recongnised your name too Bellringer.

Tom

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 12:44:16 PM »
Some new additions, Olive NE bowl, Sweet Chestnut NE bowl and a Walnut HF from a big crotch. The Walnut HF is nearly 1/2m in diameter, it was the best way I could think of to show off the amazing crotch grain ripple, looks nice in the pic, but incredible in the flesh.

More info/background here.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.520878551288622.1073741825.466495826726895&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.466513420058469.106192.466495826726895&type=3

Festive greetings!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:45:47 PM by flames »

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 06:28:15 PM »
Nice work there Flames !  Shallow profile/ squat hollow forms are not easy at all , but to show off crotch figuring they need to be shallow , I usually turn a platter from such wood ( because it is easier !!! )  so well done !  Looking at your info pics I was wondering what lathe are you using ?  and your preferred hollowing tool is ?    An Olive tree is a rare find !  a couple of years ago I delivered (by lorry ) a large Olive tree to Penzance , in a large tub the combined weight was about 2 tons !!    Terry......