Author Topic: Let's see if this works!  (Read 3315 times)

Andy Coates

Let's see if this works!
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
I haven't posted anything for a while so I thought I'd try this...

lidded ash pot with pyrography...

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Let's see if this works!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:12:54 PM »
It certainly works, Andy...nice little slide-show. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was 'ruinned' - I think that you were being a bit harsh on yourself there. However....there were one or two of the work-in-progress pics that I thought showed interesting shapes of the partially completed pyro, whereas the finished piece looked a bit too 'busy' for my liking. I think that the shape is beautiful, but that I would have liked the finished piece a little more if some part of it had been left natural.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »
The "how to ruin..." part was a reference for somebody in particular who thinks ANYTHING done to the natural wood is sacrilege... in fact the whole thing was a kind of thrown barb...

I've tried the partial approach to pyrographing these, and IMHO it doesn't always work well. The grain fights with the pyro'd texture.

Anyway...at least the upload of .wmv 's works and might be useful to forum users.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »
I like it. One of those pieces you want to pick up and feel with your eyes closed. The WMV is neat as well like one of those nature films LOL. Must look into this, good way of doing wip's without all the boring bits in between.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »
Andy,

I like the idea of the wmv WiP but if I may could you slow the next one down a bit, it flashed past a little too quick to really focus on each stage. Thanks for the new concept of showing our work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 08:39:52 PM »
Andy,

I like the idea of the wmv WiP but if I may could you slow the next one down a bit, it flashed past a little too quick to really focus on each stage. Thanks for the new concept of showing our work.

11 seconds max ... that's going some for a piece  ;D ..

Cheers
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Andy Coates

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:58:21 PM »
It was meant to be quick! That's the point of a flipbook! Otherwise it would just be a series of photos and the transition wouldn't be "visible" in the intended way.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »
couldn`t get the flipbook to work here,so looked at it on google,looked good Andy
welcome to my woodturning world