Author Topic: JSP vs Trend Airshield  (Read 7737 times)

Offline yew turn

• iron
JSP vs Trend Airshield
« on: November 07, 2013, 10:55:38 PM »
I currently have a JSP Aircap (the older model with the power pack on a separate cable as opposed to the power pack built into the helmet), it has only done about 30 hours work and already the motor has started to fail, the supplier has agreed to give me a full refund. I am now in two minds whether to replace it with either the newer version of the JSP Aircap or the Trend Airpro.  Has anyone  have any thoughts on which is the better of the two. Have any of you had problems with your JSP Aircap?  As this is my only precaution against dust in the workshop would I be better off not replacing the airshield and using some other type of dust extraction?
I would very much appreciate your comments.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
Re: JSP vs Trend Airshield
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 12:40:19 PM »
Hi Bill - Here are a few options which I have been exploring which may be useful?
I have a Trend Airshield and have also tried the JSP and although both are great at what they do, I find them cumbersome and also expensive to maintain as regards batteries and filters etc.

At the simplest level you could try the Dust Bee Gone available from many outlets including Turners Retreat.  This is a simple but ingenious washable face mask (designed for woodturners) as recommended by my woodturning tutor.

However, I am currently using a 3M™ 7500 Series Premium Comfort Half Mask which is re-usable and for which there is a range of filters including vapours and gases (useful for vapours produced by Pyrography?), as well (of course) as dust.  The mask is re-usable and replacement filters are relatively cheap.  The mask itself is cheap (especially on ebay) and uses a simple exhalation valve system (no electric fans involved).  This is working well for me.

More info HERE

3M also do a full face version 3M™ 6000 & 7000 Series Full Face Masks - using the same filter system (no fans).  I haven't tried this, going for the simpler (and cheaper!) half mask system which fits OK underneath my head visor.

More info HERE

3M also do a fan powered helmet which I haven't investigated (as the Trend & JSP are probably cheaper?).  However, just for completeness, info on these 3M powered respirators are available  HERE.

Hope this helps?

Tim

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »
Hi Tim...that was a very timely response....I was about to add a thread about the 'Dust be Gone' mask. I spotted this item on the Turners' Retreat website and wondered how effective it is....in the light of the rather complex masks that are available, this simple little mask seems almost too good tom be true. Has anyone had experience of using one?

p.s. ...  sorry, yew-turn, for hijacking your thread, but this does have relevance!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 07:18:18 PM »
A few things to bear in mind -

Not all respirator masks provide impact protection. Unless it did I personally don't see the point in using one. The recent injury to someone wearing a respirator is probably a good example why adequate impact protection is also vital.

The Dust be gone masks are described by their manufacturer as "nuisance" dust masks and don't provide filtration below 3 microns. They are not approved in the US where they are made and don't appear to have any UK or European standard compliance either.

Offline yew turn

• iron
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 02:06:36 PM »
Hi Tim, thank you for the info regarding the dust masks, I certainly need to take a closer look at the options available. The problem being the more you look the more confused you get :-\

No problem Les, no offence taken.

Thank you Paul for your comments.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »
I have the JSP helmet with the battery on a lead for wearing on the belt. I bought this on Ebay for a quarter of the new price and found it to be very good. I wanted a system with full face protection and found that dust masks with safety glasses were not good as the glasses mist up. As an ex 3M employee, I would have had the 3M system but found it outside my budget, even though it is by far the best system. Some of the helmet systems with the battery in the helmet I find too heavy and tip forward when you lean over the lathe, so this is why I went for the JSP with the battery pack on a lead. I have had no problems over a couple of years with this. I have other dust systems in the workshop as well, namely the Jet room filtration and the usual dust/chip extractor. Even with these, there is dust in the workshop and therefore in the air, so I would definitely recommend using some facial system. Hope this helps. Malcolm.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 07:34:24 PM »
Yew,

what's wrong with the motor and why do you think it's failing?

Intermittent operation could be the sign of various faults, some are fixable, some not.

Weak operation could be the rechargeable batteries failing, I made up a new battery pack for mine when they went.

Give us a clue.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline yew turn

• iron
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »
Thank you Malcy for your comments, I totally agree the wearing of an airshield is important as well as using other forms of dust extraction I just need to look at some options, glad to hear your airshield is serving you well.

Dragonfly luckily it's under warranty so it's going back to the supplier.