Author Topic: Second Bowl  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Katchin

• bronze
Second Bowl
« on: May 02, 2011, 06:18:20 PM »
This is my second finished bowl, although I have a few in half finished states, and a couple in the bin  ;D

This one is called 'Suicidal Surprise', as it fell to the floor so many times it was comical. The rim was a lot higher, but got damaged twice and had to be re-turned twice.

I had some pull out again on the inside, but sanding and sanding sealer seems to have hidden it very well.

I used the Sorby Sandmaster on it, and the Chestnut Buffing Wheel system.

John Simon Lawrenson

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Second Bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:15:31 PM »

John,  For a second bowl which made it, you've had a good result, having battled with a few problems, with every bowl you make things get better.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:57:15 PM »
Hi John,
           with only a couple in the bin you are doing very well, most of us have loads in the bin. The finish looks pretty good and it looks like you avoided the classic beginner's mistake of making the whole thing square. As long as you learn something each time it comes off of the lathe by accident then you've not wasted your time. The expert is not someone that never makes mistakes, he is some one that makes mistakes and can rectify them. For just your second bowl I think you have done very well.
Regards
John

Andy Coates

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:18:38 PM »
Ditto all the above. A great result, and as already stated, especially as you've achieved a non-dog bowl shape.