Author Topic: Marks Sanger's book - Turning Hollow Forms  (Read 14342 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Marks Sanger's book - Turning Hollow Forms
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 12:14:44 PM »
I already have a smattering of french so should be ok, it's due to arrive today ( Tuesday 18th )

My delivery said not till March 3rd .. Odd Publication Date states 7 Feb 2014 ... To other orders would be by 21st this month.

Well ... when it comes, it comes .. :D .. just a check it was £5:00 + p&p.. an that (p&p) was not £10:00+..  :o .. as E-boot can do at times.. I know only to well from our mailing, rates are dear.. but some can charge over the top... too make up on a cheap sale price.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »
If you spend more than £10 with Amazon the postage is free so you could have bought a second copy for another £2.25!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »
David add another copy and I will buy it off you.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 06:32:20 PM »
Mine arrived today....know what I'll be reading for the next day or two

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 06:44:27 PM »
David add another copy and I will buy it off you.

It came to the £10:00, but as it's different delivery dates .. just might charge one postage, like said will check.. postage is far from cheap these day's and few take into account packing time nor the packaging ... my time, I wonder, at times I'm working for free..

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »
Mine arrived today....know what I'll be reading for the next day or two

Les

Soon see you turning ..  ;D .. out some hollow forms then, Les. more then usual.

It's always good to read/see how it should be done and Mark is the exponent here... like most when you're self taught ... in the beginning every bookcase had/has Keith Rowley, we differ today with a lot more resources and opportunities to learn, yet there is always room for a good book.

If they originally quoted you March 27th ... Wonder then, mine may come sooner.

Cheers   Dewi

PS ... What has anybody read lately, interesting or not, how about a topic of a short written review.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »
Well - mine was waiting for me when I got home tonight. £5 for the book and £2.50 postage, it was brand new and in English and in a new Postage Pack. That's pretty good service for a weekend order, I haven't had time to read it closely but for someone like me that has only played with hollowing and kept the house warm with the results it looks like a really good book full of hints tips and knowledge. Thank you Mark.
Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Mark Sanger

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 02:56:35 PM »
Hi Julian

Thank you for your comments, I hope you enjoy it.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 06:50:19 PM »
Well mine turned up yesterday and in English, Mark what a Great Book I've had a quick flick through and will read from cover a few times before I go and make some more wood shavings.

Ed

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 04:04:46 PM »
It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ... It's Here !! ...

Well... before March for delivery.. so far it's a good read ... Long time since I've bought a book, an I consider the print has got on the smaller size, to me... it however does not detract from the quality of the subject.

To those familiar with both Mark's work and his writing on the subject, the book is of the same format pictorial to the Woodturning Magazine, as book is from the Guild of Master Craftsman Publications. Yet is a wealth of information beyond the Hollow Form itself, with Workshop, understanding timber and the different Tools used.

There's a short personal Dedication, equally short Introduction, yet mention of those who have/had an huge influence on his Turning, as with following them, Mark now with this book, sets out to Influence the next generation... and those who still endeavor to create the HF.

I look forward to continuing reading.

Cheers   David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »
And mine arrived today.

I've done the hollowing course with Mark, he gives away a multipage handout with the course. This is everything he taught and more, and I can access the information at need.

Well worth the £17 asking price - even if we are only paying £5.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »
And mine arrived today.

I've done the hollowing course with Mark, he gives away a multipage handout with the course. This is everything he taught and more, and I can access the information at need.

Well worth the £17 asking price - even if we are only paying £5.

Yep Bryan, spot on, any book, albeit can be along read, will give instant access to information, than trying to sort through a DVD on a subject.

I've yet to start the in depth details on the tools.

Cheers    David

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 09:44:51 PM »
I hope we all got our copy, Amazon is showing as sold out - must be a Number 1 best seller.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 09:55:55 PM »
Now here's a thing!! Several months ago, when I started this thread, I placed a copy on order with Amazon and waited for them to tell me that it had been published. The next thing you know, it gets published but Amazon don't tell me, so I order a copy and pay my £5 plus postage. Several days later, when it's out of stock, Amazon send me an email saying that my book has just been published and they're sending me a copy for just under £14. Needless to say, I cancelled the pre-order.
I always looked upon Amazon as a worthy sort of company....now I have my doubts.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 10:19:06 PM »
I hope we all got our copy, Amazon is showing as sold out - must be a Number 1 best seller.

I'm just wondering should this be a limited edition print 1st edition .. bang mine on E-boot for £30:00 ...  ;D ..

You were wise there, Les. Try anything Amazon will, we wondered how they'd been selling it for the fiver .. since when have they got the call to what is published and for how much ..  :o .. Like you how many others, not knowing it was up for the £5 .. have been done on the Pre-order price... or had Amazon dropped the ball .. with the £5:00 ..

We'll hear from Mark once he's back from his pre-launch sales holiday .. must have raked in a packet ..  ;D ..

Cheers