Author Topic: Marks Sanger's book - Turning Hollow Forms  (Read 14340 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Marks Sanger's book - Turning Hollow Forms
« on: October 16, 2013, 06:32:37 AM »
I just noticed that Mark has a new book being published early next year. Entitled Turning Hollow Forms: First Steps: Techniques and Projects, Amazon have it available to pre-order, via this link...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turning-Hollow-Forms-Techniques-Projects/dp/162710027X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381901250&sr=8-1&keywords=turning+hollow+forms
I've ordered my copy this morning and Amazon are quoting 27th March as an approximate delivery date....what on earth am I going to do until then?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Marks Sanger's book - Turning Hollow Forms
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »
I don't know about you Les, but I managed to get on a 2 day course with Mark Sanger & George Fowraker last week on making Hollowforms. A fantastic opertunity to learn and question the techniques and processes they use. I learned lots...

...now just need to practice it, right after I've finish rebuilding the Kitchen, bathroom and all the making good after the work we've had done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:14:51 PM »
Hi Bryan...thanks for the suggestion. I'm seriously thinking of  enrolling for a course like the one you referred to, but it's going to have to be in the spring next year. At the moment I've got too many commitments with work and home, but would love to attend one.

Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 06:26:09 PM »
Les,

No pressure but I waited about 8 months from announcing they were to do a combined course to it being run. Both teach individually but it was getting them together that was the clincher for me.

Mark is on the forum (George left), bounce him an e-mail and ask him if/when they are thinking of running another and if he would be good enough to let you know once bookings were being taken.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 09:01:57 PM »
Hi Bryan....have PM'd you re this.

Les

Mark Sanger

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:45:33 PM »
Thank you for the mention Les. I am very pleased with the content of the book and look forward to it being released. Now I just have to wait for feedback  :-X

Obviously I am not allowed to advertise on the forum but if you want info ref courses email me or George.

Thanks again.

PhilipS

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 12:14:19 AM »
I see the book is now published - surprised that it discounted so much on release. Hope no-one has pre-ordered at full price. I've ordered mine from Amazon on this link, great value at a fiver.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=turning+hollow+forms

Philip

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 01:10:57 AM »

:o ... £5:00 ... an he's a wife and family to support .. Robbers .. Know it cut throat these days .. but a fiver.. what's Mark's margin, the small change.

From Mark it should be a good read and informative.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 08:31:35 AM »
Yeah, £5 for a 'Used Book' when it's not even released yet!

Methinks that the shop selling them has a script to catch searches and show available stock, even when it has none.

I'd like to see them supply against a customer order.

PhilipS

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 11:26:20 AM »
Dr4g0nfly, I don't know where you got the idea of a fiver "used" - it is supplied by Amazon new. Two other suppliers are offering it at around £7.50 new as well. Both of which I have ordered from before.

The retail price is decided by the wholesale price so the criticism should be directed to the publisher who may be offloading it cheaply.

As far as I am aware the author gets a percentage of the wholesale value from this publisher but this may be an incorrect assumption.

I apologise for drawing attention to readers here that they could save some money. The price does not affect the value of the information in the book.

Philip

Mark Sanger

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 12:32:01 PM »
Hi all

Thank you for the update and info.

The low price of £5 is something I picked up on about a week ago together with several other mistakes on Amazon in relation to the description, all of which have been highlighted with the publishers.

The background to the situation for which I have been waiting an update on by the publishers is as below.

It appears to be an error by Amazon or they are selling it deliberately at a loss, for which they have been contacted.

Amazon I believe discount by 50% initially after which they put it up nearer to the RRP, but never fully.

Either way the price sold on Amazon in no way will affect me or the publishers or the cost it has been sold on to distributors such as Amazon.

No doubt Amazon will have received a reasonable discount for the books as they are such a large company, that's just business but then they will sell a huge amount compared to smaller concerns. This of course I am not privy to but it is how the world goes round.

So if I were you I would 'fill your boots' as they say, as you may find the price will go up soon as the wheels are in motion. Either way it does not effect me so I can continue to eat baked beans a couscous for a bit longer.  :)

I am very pleased with the book and how it has been set out and to date have had great feedback.

So get your orders in quick if you want to save a few quid.

In relation to the other companies and the second hand copies see here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1861088930/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392294215&sr=1-1&keywords=mark+sanger&condition=used there are only a few of these left on Amazon, there was one even selling a supposedly 'Collectors Edition', when no such thing has been printed.

I guess it is just the BS of the internet, companies trying to pull in people to look at their shop as it has not been released as yet.

The other version at £15 is the one printed for the American market so the spelling is different this is another of the errors as it should not even be displayed on Amazon.UK

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:04:52 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »
Hi Mark,
          Just checked on Amazon price now £14:08 free delivery.It is the early bird that catches the Worm ??? :o Regards John

John Smith

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 11:19:42 PM »
I've just ordered one at a fiver +2.75 delivery

Ed

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »

The book NEW for £5:00 is via Amazon EU Sàrl ... well that's what it said on my order...  might need to learn French.. again..  ;D .. if EU ..

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »
I already have a smattering of french so should be ok, it's due to arrive today ( Tuesday 18th )
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian