Author Topic: Inspiration  (Read 4338 times)

Offline John

• bronze
Inspiration
« on: August 02, 2013, 06:31:19 PM »
Hi,
Am having an inspiration drought at the moment, I have only turned one item in the last couple of months. I go into the workshop and the brain fades, I put a blank on the lathe, (spindle) rough it to a cylinder, have a practice turning beads, coves etc. Then nothing, no idea what to do next! I see such great things on the forum, have an idea then it all fades. I think I will shut the workshop for while and concentrate on the allotment.
John
John English

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »

John, don't feel alone when it comes to inspiration, it could be more a mind full of ideas, but with me as much the time and which to start first, the allotment may throw up some forms, should it remain dry.

Having 3rd heavy lightning/thunder storm over Cannock and the Chase at the moment.. flood weather.

Settle into a good book.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 10:29:13 PM »
Go to google and select the IMAGE tab.

Type in anything...wooden objects, vase, bowl, wall art, texture, shape, form....ETC

And when something appeals copy the image. Look at it a lot. And I promise you'll soon be off on your way brimming with ideas.

You can take the same approach with the world around you. Only you can't pinch the image so easily.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »
Hello John,
               we all struggle at some time for inspiration, I seem to spend half my time doing just that :(
Something you might like to try is a hanging pot pourri holder (seeing as how you will now have all those roughed out spindles  ;))
A finial on each end, hollow in the middle with a ribbon coming out the top and pierce the top part of the middle.
Or a nice finial pot, or hollow eggs or a set of skittles and balls. Or try some segmented work for a change.
What about a baby's rattle? Go to "woodturning online" for ideas or just type in woodturning ideas.
Do you belong to a club? if not let us know roughly where you are in the country and I am sure we can team you up with someone.
Best of luck,
Regards
John BHT sw rep

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 11:13:06 PM »
As Andy suggests, use Google images but also look up pottery, different historical ages such as medieval, edwardian etc and see the different shapes and designs. Basically nothing is new as such but loads of variations.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
My own sugestion for filling those empty bonce moments is to wack a piece of wood between centres cut a hat of any description on the tailstock end and then work your way down to a feet shape at the other....hey presto, another 'bloke' is born and you've had a little more practice and probably a smile to boot...What a deal 8)
A few characters I've made in the past include
Guardsman
Sailor
Charly Chaplin
Char Lady
Diddy Man
Top Hat
Etc etc
All the best with it
Brian

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:08:31 PM »
I'd like to see a picture of the men Brian.
regards
John BHT

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 12:08:41 AM »
The only one I have actually kept, John, is a guardsman pencil box made for a mag article some years ago. The rest have gone to the nearest kiddy or been sold for charity but the more basic ones really are the work of minutes.
All the best
Brian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »
Sound like a need for a Work in Progress photo session.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
Sorry Mr Fly, I disagree entirely. The original point of this thread was a beginner looking for inspiration and I strongly believe imagination is a large part of inspiration so I would far rather encourage him to engage thought cells than just give him something to copy. With that in mind perhaps a quicky description might get him and any others in a similar position the start they need.
Put a scruffy bit of firewood, of roughly humanoid proportions, between centres, or chuck and centres if prefered.
Start at the tailstock end and turn a top hat shape...don't forget the hat band!
Then move on to turn a headshape...'U' shape, not spherical cos he's wearing the hat
Below the 'chin' comes the shoulders in the form of a rounded off right angle
A long but shallow cove hints at a waistline before a sharp step forms the hem of his jacket
Trousers are one long taper ending at an extended bead for his feet
Part off, job done....unless you fancy giving him a face, buttons or whathaveyou with pyro or pen and colouring him with paints or felt tips to taste.
A 'Bloke' is born
All the best with it
Brian

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »
Hello everyone,
Thanks for your ideas and comments.
I have been back in the workshop and done some turning, I am getting back into the swing of things again.
I think it was just that after 12+ years of turning, the inspiration just dried up for a while. I was also organizing our allotment annual show (I should have kept my mouth shut when we needed a new Chairman).
Part of the show was a handicraft competition. In the woodcraft I came second, the winner was one of my students.
My wife got best in show for her Patchwork and Quilting and Rock cakes.
John
John English

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »

John, good to read you're back on form, well done to both of you on just rewards.

Cheers David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Mark Sanger

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 09:29:39 AM »
The issue for me when I started was as for all I guess, trying to find ideas other than those that I had been making for years and or those that I had been trying to emulate, such as Cindy Dorzda. My take on my way of working I will happily carry on here http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,1795.0.html in the thread on design and inspiration shortly.