Author Topic: Design and Inspiration  (Read 27994 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Design and Inspiration
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2013, 10:22:08 PM »
 This pot is apple burr and was turned green and split as I was turning it. All the splits etc have been sealed with brass and it will be returned hence the tenon on the bottom still.
I use a lot of green oak or old posts as well primarily because I like the defects. Odd I know. I make quite a few goblets with it and let them warp, split etc then repair the splits. The re-enactment folk love them. Can be a problem mind I have one I am trying to seal at the moment that has a burr patch in the middle and I am having real problems sealing all the tiny holes. Can't have their mead all running out can we?
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2013, 10:31:02 PM »
Am I seeing/noticing more since this thread started?
Not sure, but after living in my town for nearly 50 years, today whilst stuck in traffic ,I noticed some stonework that had an unusual texture on it, one that I will use in the future. I have only driven and walked past this on and off since 1964 so I suppose eventually I was going to notice it. Wasn't I?
regards
John
BHT

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 10:34:27 PM »
I really like that effect Pete....I've just ordered a load of brass dust, polyester resins and ca, so can't wait to get started on this. I picked up a 9ft plank of yew the other day, 19" wide by 2.5" thick, but it's got its fair share of natural defects that will need filling and this looks to be just the job!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »
Am I seeing/noticing more since this thread started?
Not sure, but after living in my town for nearly 50 years, today whilst stuck in traffic ,I noticed some stonework that had an unusual texture on it, one that I will use in the future. I have only driven and walked past this on and off since 1964 so I suppose eventually I was going to notice it. Wasn't I?
regards
John
BHT

Once you start seeing things John it becomes 2nd nature. Living with a designer I have found I now look at things completely differently. Here in Wiltshire there are hundreds of old buildings with amazing features but a lot of them are hidden if all you see are the shop fronts for example. Each species of tree has a different shape, charity shops and junk shops are a goldmine of old pottery, glass ware etc with both beautiful and hideous shapes. I especially like walking around Bath and always go to the little Holborne museum where they have a permanent collection of little japanese netsuke which are truly inspirational. certainly way beyond my skill level but well worth a look.

Pete

Mark Sanger

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »
Pete

In relation to your skills in filling broken vessels, you couldn't fix this one for me could you if I send it over, I haven't got enough filler.  :)

Part finished

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss166/fullcircle1/latest_zpscdcd9e4f.jpg[/img]]

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »
Possibly Mark though personally I like it as it is. If you had filled the holes prior to texturing you could have textured the filler as well LOL. The texturing reminds me of the busts I used to watch the locals making in East Africa. They did the texturing for the hair with a sharpened screwdriver sort of wiggling it across the wood.

Pete

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2013, 08:13:13 PM »
I used Brass mixed with Epoxy Resin a couple of times The brass I used I scrounged for a small fee from a key cutter there was some steel mixed with it but a strong magnet soon removed it.
                                                         Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2013, 02:22:42 AM »

Well Mark, The one thing that's right up or is that down your street, an Oriental theme out of a small cored blank or any limited size small piece, then why not a large bowl form, Ash or best Sycamore, pierced, textured and painted black, maybe scorched branches and leaves, then inside the white giving the balance.

Next big quesion Why not go make it .. indeed ...

Cheers  David

Hi David

It may be the time of morning, but I don't understand what you are saying here. ?

Is it just the highlighted you didn't understand ...  It was meant as your thoughts, asking if I had that vision, why not go and make the piece, trust it clears what I intended to mean.

Cheers  David

Sorry David

It was far too early for me yesterday, first time up at 0530 for a demo in a couple of months and what with being washed out from the virus my brain did not start working until, well, I can not recall.  :)

In relation to the picture.

I have taken it as a point of inspiration for a piece.

At the moment I am merely thinking deeply about what the picture means to me, what the moon and the autumn leaves mean. Thoughts of childhood days at my grandparents when I would look out of the upstairs windows and be told what the constellations are.

Jotting down notes and sketching ideas and from this researching, the moon, tidal changes, leaf formations/structure, decay, the meaning of autumn in various religions,  Pagan moon goddess, Pagan tea leaf readings, religion. Collecting reference pictures from my childhood and other sources for a storyboard. After I have absorbed myself into this for a few weeks I will start to think of a project based on what stirs in my grey matter.  :)

At this stage I am not thinking of what type of piece it will be, bowl, hollow form or sculpture based as for me it will only distract from connecting with the subject/picture.

I will the thread updated but it may be a while as I am snowed under with work at the moment. This being a large amount of the time I think while I produce my bread and butter work.

Hi Mark, the things of interest you note of the Moon ... it also draws cooler, if not the coldest round the Full Moon, something of interest, if not an eerie sight, will be four Blood Red Moons over the next 2 years .. 2014-15 .. all falling on very significant dates, maybe not in the Gregorian calendar.

We'll watch & see.  Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
I wonder why this thread was allowed to sink into obscurity ?
I like the idea of taking a standard 6 x 3 blank and seeing what can come out of it. Thinking cap is on ( it aint alf hot mum )
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2014, 06:51:49 PM »

Graham, it would be a shame for this not to continue, the biggest driving force as with the originator is .. was Mark.

You've hit on an idea, in fact a new thread, should enough take up the challenge .. a contest for other words, what can be turned from like you've said a 6x3 blank or any other theme .. a similar topic came up a few years ago an Pandora Box .. did it go anywhere .. ::) ..

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2014, 08:42:11 PM »
It will be interesting to see if others agree and are up for it  :)
Regards
Graham

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »
I'll have a look in the morning to see if I have a 6" x 3" blank, or anything near enough.

I think Graham has hit upon an idea, we are all used to having monthly themes at our various clubs, can we (users of this forum) consider ourselves another club, with monthly themes?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2014, 09:18:56 PM »
I see no reason why we shouldn't have a monthly, or bi monthly, challenge. It would be fun.
I must emphasise though that this is not my idea. Mark Sanger threw out the challenge back on page 2 of this thread but I don't see that anyone picked it up.
Regards
Graham

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2014, 08:08:20 AM »
Hi Graham

I've never really looked back at the old posts and after you finding this one I think that I should, it's been very interesting.

Now that sounds like a great idea and a bit of fun shall we just start it and say pieces need to be posted by a date?

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2014, 10:01:27 AM »
On holiday at the moment so make the date realistic (about 6 weeks or so)and I would quite happily submit a piece.
There used to be a monthly competition here but is was suspended through lack of participation, and even when it was running it was always the same names taking part.