Author Topic: Inspiration/blog of interest  (Read 3723 times)

Mark Sanger

Inspiration/blog of interest
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »
Many of you will be aware of Rosemary Wright a well established woodturner from the UK. Often we as turners get locked into working in the round, but there are many other ways of using the lathe to produce our ideas.  Rosemary is a fine example of this and how we can work, not only in the round but also through deconstructing.

Rosemary does not work solely with the lathe, but many examples here show how using the lathe is a great tool as a part process.

Check out Rosemary's blog and have a look at the inspiring work she is currently producing.

http://rosemarywright-artist.blogspot.co.uk/co.uk/[/url]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:03:40 AM by Mark Sanger »

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Inspiration/blog of interest
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:26:04 PM »

Hi Mark, I had seen some pieces by Rosemary before, but not gone to Her Website. Thank you for the link to her Blog, Fascinating Artist and Maker as She calls Herself.

It is as I'd raised the question in another thread here, Turners or Artists and the comparison as to how America view turning, as much as another form of Art, with Rosemary and yourself the work is not confinded to the Lathe alone as a tool to create an Art form, however the form comes about, it's hoped, as wood it attracts Galleries and the Art Buying Consumer.

When were you due at The Grey Door Gallery, to see your name there in print and giving the Ceramics something to think about.

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:16:36 PM »
Hi Mark,
          thanks for posting this, I have admired Rosemary's work for a while now and it is certainly inspiring.
Regards
John BHT

Mark Sanger

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »
Hi David

I find Rosemary's work very interesting and inspirational. It is always interesting to me to see how different people think and work in the same material as me.

The thread you started was interesting but I did not get chance to comment.

It is worth noting that although we share a common language with our cousins over the water, we have far more in common with France and Germany than we ever will with America.

It is not only America that thinks differently about woodturning.

The best way for people to answer questions about woodturning and how it is viewed by other disciplines, the public and galleries is to look at the other disciplines, the way in which these makers think about their work, quality and methods of working, as well as marketing etc. To visit galleries and see what is on display and how it compares.

Unfortunately from my experience of trying to get my work into mixed media galleries the word 'woodturning' alone carries with it for some with negative connotations.

I have taken it upon myself to ask many a ceramics, jewellery, glass and sculpture friends when first meeting them what their thoughts are on woodturning, most do not want to comment until I explain my reason for asking, once I get them to open up I am afraid the comments are not flattering.

People need to make their own decisions as to why these makers and gallery owners comment as they do by looking at what others make outside of woodturning produce and how they present it.

However it would be wrong to say that all ceramicists, glass makers and other artists all produce quality work as their is some rubbish out there in all fields. Just as it would be wrong to say all woodturners do not produce great work as there are many that do.

Woodturners as a whole do seem to be heavily involved/concerned in learning tool technique but do not seem to put the same energy into learning about design.

Of course I base my comments on what I have seen and this does not mean I am right, just voicing my thoughts.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 04:55:17 PM »
Hi Mark,
          thanks for posting this, I have admired Rosemary's work for a while now and it is certainly inspiring.
Regards
John BHT

Your welcome. It is also good to see what others in the UK are up to. Often we don;t know as we are all tucked away in our hidey holes.  :)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:29:06 PM »
I have to agree with you Mark about the focus on tool expertise etc. When I do demos I am trying to focus on making simple things that most of us can make but looking at shapes, incorporating different materials and so forth. Maybe I am going down the wrong path but I have had a fair bit of contact with some top class designers in the country the last couple of years in various mediums and realised that the main difference between a good piece of turning and an exceptional one isn't how smooth, free of tool marks etc it is (though those are things we should all strive for) but in the design.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities