Author Topic: Silver Birch Table Lamp  (Read 3447 times)

Revopix

Silver Birch Table Lamp
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:50:47 PM »
Turned from green Silver Birch after keeping the log for a few months to allow it to start to spalter.It was then turned to shape and the inside hollowed,
(by hollowing it allows the wood to dry quicker keeping better shape and hopefully no cracking.)
When dry the piece was re-mounted and finished adding the Mahogany base and insert at the top.

The final turning was a bit difficult because the timber was a bit soft and woolly,as is often the case with spalted timber, but this was made easier by applying
Shellac sanding sealer before each tuning cut,

...Dave.     

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Silver Birch Table Lamp
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 02:44:15 AM »

Hi Dave, you've achieved a splendid Classic form with the lamp, not only turning, but retaining the crisp details, the contrasting Mahogany base and insert complements the piece, nice finish, all it needs now is a nice shade, I use a cylinder pendant shade and fit it pointing up, still shades the light, but doesn't hide the beauty of the lamp.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:34:41 PM »
Dave,

This is as classic a shape as I can imagine. You've caught the spalting about right for birch as well, as it can be a very fluffy wood to turn even as a clean timber sometimes.

How thing did you take it down to please?

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 07:37:42 AM »
As said classical lines and very well done to boot

Revopix

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:46:39 AM »
dr4gOnfly ....You asked what thickness I took it to. I did not measure but I guess about 15-18mm.
And thanks for your comments.  
 ...Dave.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:33:28 AM by Revopix »

Offline zoey76

• iron
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2023, 08:44:46 AM »
the Silver Birch Table Lamp you've created is truly a work of art!
Working with spalted timber can present its own set of challenges, but your use of Shellac sanding sealer demonstrates your expertise in navigating those difficulties. It's clear that you've taken great care to ensure a high-quality final product.

I've always been intrigued by the drying process of wood, and hollowing it out seems like a clever technique to prevent cracking. Once it was dry, a beautiful Mahogany base and insert were added to complete the lamp. The turning process was a bit tricky due to the soft and woolly nature of the spalted timber, but the use of Shellac sanding sealer definitely helped.

If you're as captivated as I am, you can check out this unique Silver Birch Table Lamp at this website.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 12:28:18 PM »
I would advise a turner to start any lamp project by sourcing the shade? Surely the woody bit needs to either complement or harmonise ...and certainly not overpower... the shade, which is, of course,  the one piece of the completed project you can't alter.
An alternative choice of, cheaper but more time consuming, wood hardener might be a mix of white glue and water (any proportion but far more water than glue).
Best to all
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 12:41:57 PM »
I would advise a turner to start any lamp project by sourcing the shade? Surely the woody bit needs to either complement or harmonise ...and certainly not overpower... the shade, which is, of course,  the one piece of the completed project you can't alter.
An alternative choice of, cheaper but more time consuming, wood hardener might be a mix of white glue and water (any proportion but far more water than glue).
Best to all
Brian

Yes, that’s a good point about the shade.  ;)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2023, 10:08:43 AM »
A lovely piece and  good preparation.  I suggest a fairly plain pale shade but go for a convex (ie splayed) outer shape rather than the rather drab conical ones usually offered.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2023, 05:22:32 PM »
A nice turning from 2013. ;)