Author Topic: English Oak Bowl  (Read 3996 times)

Revopix

English Oak Bowl
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »
Various woods (Ebony, Berberis, Sycamore)  inserted around the rim and base.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: English Oak Bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:59:37 PM »
The addition of the different woods makes a tremendous difference to the bowl. Lifting it well above a normal bowl turning.

I have to admit to having a soft spot for Berberis since getting some from a oversized shrub a few years ago.

Can we ask how you constructed the rim and foot please.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 06:52:13 PM »

Bryan, Dr4gOnfly has about summed it all, the very interesting detail has added to the piece nicely.

Thank you for sharing.   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 12:17:43 AM »
I think the detail is a masterful stroke that lifts the bowl out of the ordinary, a great piece in my book

Revopix

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »
You asked how the rim was constructed...
The bowl was finished from a pre-turned end grain blank, from wet Qak wood many months ago.
Held on the lathe by a spigot for the final turnings.both inside & outside, and while the bowl is still quite thick say about 18-20mm a slot of 3mm is turned into the rim from the top to depth of about 4-5mm.
The bowl is then taken from the lathe (chuck attached, never remove until completely finished) holding the chuck in a bench vice, strips of the various woods cut to the width of the slot but of different/random thicknesses (say 2mm to 8mm) keeping the length of the strip intact apply the adhesive and tap into the slot mixing the colors and thicknesses at random cutting of the strips just above the rim. the adhesive I used was Wilkinson's slow setting epoxy resin.
When completely hardened re-mount on the lathe and turn away the surplus, and turn a second slot along side and touching the first and repeat the pegging and glueing process.
Remount and finish leaving a minimum amount of wood either side of the decoration. The foot was done in a similar manner with one line of decoration visible from the side, this was made as a separate piece and attached to the bowl and finished using jamb chucking methods.       

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »
Revopix,

that description shows an awesome amount of work and forethought.

I (and I'm guessing 'We') are already looking forward to your next post, please don't make it too long in the future.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Revopix

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
Thank you all for your kind & encouraging remarks.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »
IMHO there is not a lot that can be done to make Oak look better, (I like Oak) but on this occasion I think you have made it look better.
Well done .
Regards
John BHT

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 11:05:55 AM »
lovely bowl,the different woods make all the difference around the edge and on the foot,brings back memories of xmas as a child when I received a pencilcase from my aunt in New Zealand with all the differnt woods on it they have out there,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Revopix

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 11:50:42 PM »
I do intend to post some more of my woodturnings, I do have a Woodturning set of pictures posted on Flickr, to see them click on this link :   http://www.flickr.com/photos/67072953@N02/sets/72157627651912737/

Left click on the image if you wish to see it larger,...To see it in more detail, right click, select the larger size click on it to see closer detail.

....Dave.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:08:21 AM by Revopix »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »
Hello Dave I think your oak bowl is a lovely piece of work and the enhancement of the foot sets it off a treat not to much it just sets it off for me.
I have just looked at your Flicker link very nice work indeed.

Regards John     
John Smith