Author Topic: Ongoing vase fiddling  (Read 3177 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Ongoing vase fiddling
« on: August 17, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »
Still playing with these vases. keep adjusting and changing the finials and the arrangements.
Oak with a tower of turquoise pieces: 3" x 3", Cherry with tortoise shell finial: , beech with ebony finial and sea washed stones: 7" x 3", oak with lacquered twig finial 6" x 2.5"
Comments and critique welcome

Pete
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:09:04 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Ongoing vase fiddling
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »
Pete,

That is some range of work, to work down them;

I really like the shape of the first and the grain effect, the straight lines formed really do look good on it. But it's size looks a little overpowered by the height to the base above the surface it sits on and also by the height of the turquoise stack.

The second is reminiscent of a ceramic vase, the long slow middle curve to the sudden undercut and foot, but it carries the burr and grain to the observer instead of hiding it which is important. The lid fits it well enough but seems a little weak. Hard to describe, a little small, not quite bold enough, a bit pale or lacking in strength of colour, I'm not really sure, just one of those feelings I get.

I like the arrangement of the third one, Base, Stones and vase - all the way up to the shoulder, beyond that the inverted curves to the vase top and lid finial clash.

The forth one is just beautiful, the curves of the shape, the colour of the oak, including cracks and knot, through to the lid and it's quirky twig sit well with an earthy feel. To me it sits comfortably in it's own presence.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »
That's some damn fine fiddling in my book, love the lot

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 11:16:49 PM »
Thanks for the critiques. I have taken a couple of the turquoise slices away and you're right, it looks better. The lid/finial in the second is stronger coloured than shows in the picture but I'll keep looking at that one. Not sure I will ever be fully happy with them, or anything else I make LOL. Perfection is a long way away

Pete

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:31:11 PM »
And the winner is ... #4 ...  Well Pete, they all are, I like the Oak forms and detail, the Cherry has so much happening, a bizzy piece with figure and inlay, with the Beech/Ebony, each complement the other, as with the flow through in details of finial and top of the form.

Nice mix and for where you're going match of ideas. Then an Artist can always say, he's never content that any work is totally complete or finished.

Cheers for sharing.   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:37:04 AM »
Hi Pete,
           who's been a busy boy then?
I like the shape of the 1st one but wonder if the stones are too shiny for the whole,just a thought.
I also like the shape of the 2nd but I would prefer to see all voids filled or none at all, that just my preference though.
I'm not too keen on #3 as I don't like the shape.
4 would be Ok apart from filling all the voids as #2 above and I can see what you want to do with the finial but on this occasion for me it does not work. I wonder if a Mark Sanger style oriental finial(going this(_)way and not this(I) way would give it a lift. Perhaps, seeing as how you have used a brass filler, a brass finial may look better? (B&Q hollow rod?)
I like your thought processes though.
well done
Regards
John

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 08:50:04 AM »
Thank you for the replies and ideas. When I make these they are put on display and fiddles with until I am sort of happy with them so they may well change again. I have a big show at the Oak fair this coming Saturday and hopefully will have them sorted along with the others by then. I have a few more which I am finishing off at the moment so will try and get those up for critiques soon.
John. I have two that I am doing with brass rod finials going horizontally which should get finished today, if so I'll post them as well.

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 12:28:53 PM »
Pete,

you could always sell them as mix & match.

Buy a vase, select a free base and your own additional items (Stones or seashells). Might be an interesting concept!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 02:16:03 PM »
I sort of do that, I don't glue anything down and sell so that the owner can arrange to suit themselves.

Pete