Author Topic: Celadon  (Read 3017 times)

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
Celadon
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:18:24 AM »
This one has been influenced by our close proximity to South East Asia. Hence the shape and rim treatment, over all it came out well although the shape is not quite right.  15cm x  17.5cm  6x7 WOP finish and buffed and again its in Camphor Laurel

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Celadon
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »
Lovely work Hughie, almost think it was ceramic  with the finish you have achieved. I can see the influence in the shape etc, not something that was made in a day I should imagine

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:56:01 AM »

Hughie, you challenge the mind and the eye with the preconceived idea, it is an existing form, somewhere, as are all forms, been done .. It's the new take on such a form, where you are different and how you have done it with this one .. R&B .. but what a R&B ... STUNNING Piece the Camphor Laurel, form and finish .. Thank you.

Shape not quite right !!!!  little too much on the rim .. maybe .. just .. still too bl@@)y good a form to complain.

I'm told I've some form of Laurel log ... if it should look like your piece .. for figure and grain, I'd have something .. it's just down to a form like yours ..

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

GwilymF

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 02:17:55 PM »
Lovely piece Hughie. How I wish I had some Camphor Laurel left, it was my favourite wood but unfortunately I've used up all I brought home with me from WA.
Gwilym

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 08:11:46 PM »
Hughie,

I can see the oriental influence in the rim, although I'd personally associate a lid with Asian vessels (maybe I'm wrong). I can't see anything Eastern in the shape but with the flutes maybe that aspect is hidden from us via the medium of photography, on the other hand I can't see anything wrong with the shape you note is there - or as David intermates 'you're just being critical of your own work', something we are all guilty of.

It is a beautiful piece of work.

David we think you have Bay laurel, (Laurus nobilis) whereas camphor laurel is (Cinnamomum camphor). But the heartwood of your bay should still yield a fantastic grain in whatever you make from it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »
The overall shape is fairly typical of some Chinese pottery, minus the beading.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »
beautiful work Hughie .. many compliments ..  ;)

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 10:52:40 PM »
Thanks guys for all the feed back. This shape is not one I have done a lot of and so its something of  first and this be so success is not always assured.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 10:56:34 PM »
beautiful work Hughie .. many compliments ..  ;)

Molte grazie anche alla Apprendisti opinon è valutata