Author Topic: eatherios  (Read 3362 times)

Mark Sanger

eatherios
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »
Here is the previously shown turned, carved and coloured sculpture. 'eatherios' , name derived from Greek myth and the swan.

Thanks for looking.

C&C welcome.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:58:07 AM by Mark Sanger »

Clavico

Re: eatherios
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
WOW, super, Mark!

Kevin Hanley

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »
Absolutely stunning, Mark, Well done......I'm still trying to work out how it''s done on the lathe.

Many of us are riding the crest of the woodturning wave in the sense that we are colouring, texturing etc in line with the current trend of taking woodturning in a more artistic direction.  Many of us are behind the wave in the sense of 'brown and round' - but that is not to denigrate such people; arguably, the late great Bert Marsh and equally great Richard Raffan with their pursuit of the perfect form are of this ilk,  Then there are those - far fewer, and of whom you are one - who are ahead of the wave, pushing the boundaries of both thought and deed.  Work such as this clearly makes the transition from 'craft' to 'art' and is absolutely beautiful in both form and execution. 

Kevin

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 02:50:53 PM »
Mark what can be said? This is absolutely stunning. I have seen quite a bit of your work over the last few years but I think this surpasses all of it.The flowing lines gives the whole piece movement and the soft edges takes the (fierceness?)(aggression?)out of it.Not wishing to insult at all but I find the shape and finish quite feminine and pure. Graceful as a swan but more so.
Can you remember yonks ago you gave George one of your pieces?If you ever want to get rid of this one I can find a home for it!! A gorgeous piece.
Well done.
Regards
John BHT

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:49:45 PM »
when matter becomes lightness ... great work Mark .. as always ..  :)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »

If there ever had been an ugly ducklin' this for sure is the beautiful swan ..  fantastic form.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
Mark,

I know you've been asked to place some items in a Gallery east of here, this will hold it's own with anything they've got for it's stunning simplicity and flowing lines.

It is a thing of beauty.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
Mark, a very fine piece, well balanced and has a lightness too it. Its another  winner in my book.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37:05 PM »
Hi all

Thank you very much for all your comments they are much appreciated. I was very pleased with this piece mainly as coming up with the designs is fairly simple on paper for me but it is working out how to produce it in a time that makes it viable to sell is often the problem.

Apologies for the delay in replying.  I went to the seminar with a chest infection for which I had been given antibiotics and which appeared to be subsiding. The one slot was probably the hardest 1.5 hours for some time as I was struggling, but it seemed to go well and I was happy with this as I did not want to let anyone down.

I then had to leave early on the Sunday as I started to get worse. Back to the docs who prescribed a second lots of stronger antibiotics and who informed me that when they advise bed rest they do it for a reason.  :-[ So I have been led up since then with this being the first day I have had the strength to do pretty much anything.

On a positive note I have lost over 1/2 a stone in weight in two weeks, but I would scratch it from the list as a viable form of dieting. :) :)

Clavico

Thank you very much.

Kevin

Thank you.

You are not the first to wonder how it is done on the lathe, I know Bryan too has been musing it over. It is not difficult as it may seem with the profile/shape being turned followed by a lot shaping for the internal and concave surfaces being produced using hand carving chisels, fine saw blades and burrs, and finally abrasive and spray.

For future ones I will probably make then in natural sycamore/maple as I think on a larger scale the fine grain of sycamore will add to it.

It is kind of you to say I am ahead of the wave, when I see the work of other I know I have a very long way to go. But that is what is great about turning there is always something more to learn,refine and achieve and it will never end.

John

Thank you

I am more than happy for you to not the form is feminine. I must say that say that when I chose the name I think I should have gone feminine instead of masculine. But hey I can change the name through 'Wood Pole'.  :) I should probably gone with 'Aetheria'.

Francesco

Thank you for your comment, much appreciated.

Bryan

Thank you

ah the grapevine still works  :). I indeed hope it will, I have not been there as yet so not sure what it is like. 

Hughie

Thank you very much, it is appreciated.