Author Topic: Today's little play  (Read 2270 times)

woody

Today's little play
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:50:47 PM »
 Two bowls one silver birch natural edge salad or fruit bowl 10" x 5" at the highest point so far it has had two coats of teak oil the other 8 1/2" x 2" Burr Elm life bowl with a polish finish I am so chuffed at being able to turn again but I think I need to slow down a bit and think about what I'm going to do before putting the wood on the lathe but I did enjoy myself

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Today's little play
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:46:44 AM »
Woody,

Both are up to your normal high standard of turning and finishing but the shape of the Sliver Birch bowl is a little lacking to my eye, (very unlike your normal work) so maybe you got it right...

but I think I need to slow down a bit and think about what I'm going to do before putting the wood on the lathe but I did enjoy myself.

Of course, enjoying yourself is by far the most important aspect.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:39:14 AM »
Hi Woody....I'm going to stick my neck out and disagree with Bryan. The birch bowl is a large, functional bowl with a good wall thickness, so I feel that the plain, uncomplicated shape fits it well. The detail-lines that you've cut into the lower body of the bowl do just enough to stop the bowl looking too heavy - by adding them you take the eye away from a heavy expanse of plain shape and break the bowl down into 2 areas. So for me, it works!

I don't normally disagree with Bryan, but I've just come back from France where I think that I must have been touched (and tainted, maybe) by the Gallic temperament! ;D

Les

Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
I really like the burr elm bowl,not quite a keen on the birch one,both very nicely finnished though,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:28:56 PM »

Aaaah Woody, where would we be without your Life Bowl, you've done a decent job to a nice piece of Elm ..  The Birch is nice an chunky in design, won't go anywhere with a load of Apples, the two beads break the flow in the form nicely, they do draw the eye.

Finishes look good for so far .. be very chuffed .. but, now remember to still take it easy.

Cheers for sharing.   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''