Author Topic: Ghost Flames.  (Read 3258 times)

Mike Gibson

Ghost Flames.
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:35:22 PM »
Fresh back from Tampa and inspired by all l had seen l was raring to get back on the lathe. To my dismay l sprained my back and have not turned since before we left for the symposium. I have done it before but never has it taken so long to heal, nearly there.
After spending time with Nick Agar in Florida for my birthday Cynthia bought me an airbrush. Not being able to turn l dug an old reject out of the bin and decided to play with the airbrush. Wanting to make ghost flames just using black and white this is what l ended up with, may have a go at some realistic flames next time with all the colors.

Michael

Paul Disdle

Re: Ghost Flames.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »
Impressive airbrush work. Also wish my reject bin had gems like this in it.

Paul

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:10:22 PM »
Mike I love this effect, the depth that you have managed to convey is impressive.
Thankyou for showing us.
regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:57:12 PM »
Really beautiful. Something special.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 12:33:51 AM »

Hi Mike, other than with Nick, if this is the real first for Airbrushing ... it can't get better ... nailing this one straight off the Bat .. STUNNING Piece ... BHT sumed it up on the depth.

Wish you well soon and behind the lathe again. Till then take care.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:07:17 AM »
Mike,

the graduated effect of just the two colours is very expressive and allows the eye to create the rest of the illusion. Multiple colours creating a realistic flame effect would look good but be too defining.

Loads of waffle that says, this effect really works.

Great effect.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:11:26 AM »
I almost feel that I'm being too presumptuous, but, as a fairly new member of this forum, dare I express my honest opinion! I agree with all said about the airbrush work and am in awe of the quality of the work. However.....whenever I see finishes as opaque as this, it makes me wonder why a natural material with such inherent beauty as we find in wood, is used as a base for the applied art.
I'm still at the stage of questioning the need for any opaque finish on the items that I turn because I want to see the beauty of the wood shining through. I visited Andy Coates several days ago to see the way in which he applies colour to his turning, and this reinforced my beliefs. With the transparent colours that he uses one can still see grain patterns and even variations in final colour brought about by the initial variations in the colours within the one piece of timber. To me, that is an example of man-the-artist working in harmony with natural materials and synthetic finishes, but when opaque finishes are used, then the 'natural materials' element drops out of the equation.
As is so often stated in this forum, this is my opinion, it doesn't mean it's right or that any other opinion is wrong. it's just something that I was fairly oblivious to until I started woodturning, but which I feel quite strongly about now that I've experienced both sides of the coin.

.......but I'm still in awe of the skill that creates the art-work!

Les
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:40:45 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Clavico

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 07:25:47 PM »
Michael, very cool!  I like it a lot!

Robert

Mike Gibson

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 10:20:23 PM »
I almost feel that I'm being too presumptuous, but, as a fairly new member of this forum, dare I express my honest opinion! I agree with all said about the airbrush work and am in awe of the quality of the work. However.....whenever I see finishes as opaque as this, it makes me wonder why a natural material with such inherent beauty as we find in wood, is used as a base for the applied art.
I'm still at the stage of questioning the need for any opaque finish on the items that I turn because I want to see the beauty of the wood shining through. I visited Andy Coates several days ago to see the way in which he applies colour to his turning, and this reinforced my beliefs. With the transparent colours that he uses one can still see grain patterns and even variations in final colour brought about by the initial variations in the colours within the one piece of timber. To me, that is an example of man-the-artist working in harmony with natural materials and synthetic finishes, but when opaque finishes are used, then the 'natural materials' element drops out of the equation.
As is so often stated in this forum, this is my opinion, it doesn't mean it's right or that any other opinion is wrong. it's just something that I was fairly oblivious to until I started woodturning, but which I feel quite strongly about now that I've experienced both sides of the coin.

.......but I'm still in awe of the skill that creates the art-work!

Les

Les, Thank you for your comments, l am always interested in what people have to say about my work good or bad, that is how we learn. If you look at some of my other work you will see like you l prefer my pieces to show the woods natural beauty, it's my wife who keeps messing them up by burning all over them. Even with my back hurting l am one of those that cannot sit and do nothing. After practicing on paper with the airbrush I needed something to spray on, being a woodturner l had plenty of rejects to play with. This one is made from Pear and is very bland and turned out far better than l thought. I talked the wife into buying one for my birthday so in the future l can use transparent colours on some of my turnings.  Michael.