Author Topic: Blue Bird Vessel  (Read 3206 times)

Clavico

Blue Bird Vessel
« on: August 06, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »
This hollow vessel is made of cherry and decorated with carving and pryography. The finish is danish oil and it is 3 3/4 " by 4 3/4". There is a also a lapis lazuli stone on the underside of the lid.

Comments and Critique welcome.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:41:17 PM by Clavico »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Blue Bird Vessel
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »
Clavico, I like the shape of the vessel, the curves are right and it sits well. The decoration works for me, I was not sure about the pyro work on the lid at first but it needs it to define the finial Bluebird.

The little bird is wonderful. Is it something you made or bought please?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:10:44 PM »
Clavico, something a bit different. I quite like it but think that after all the work of punching the design in I would sand it out and steam it to make it stand proud in places.
nice concept but not sure if it works for me.
Nicely done though.
regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 11:30:45 PM »
Whilst I like the shape of the main vessel for me there is just too much going on. The influence is obviously oriental but I feel it has lost the simplicity that makes that type of design so appealing. I do these with finials made from twigs, sea glass and stones. I don't glue them up and keep trying different things until it clicks. Sorry if this sounds critical, just my opinion and you did ask

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Clavico

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 07:44:15 AM »
Thanks and your comments and criticism are well taken. The piece is very whimsical, that is, I didn't think about what can I make that everyone will like, but rather have some fun and see what happens. I agree that it could be more successful.  But someone may like it and purchase it.
'
The bird is a found object but to make one wouldn't be that difficult, I don't think.

John, since the dots are carved the process of 'ukibori' wouldn't work. With 'ukibori'  the wood fibres have to pressed (not carved) and then steamed.  I have done it but it is rather difficult to do. Many carved netsuke have the ukibori on them especially frogs but they are small. I did a lidded bowl with a lid which shows ukibori.

Best regards to all and thanks again for your thoughts on this piece.

Robert

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 07:59:15 AM »
Clavico,
          now that one I like,
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:26:05 AM »
That is very effective. Not a process I have tried but worth looking into if that is the effect that can be achieved.
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Mark Sanger

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »
Thanks and your comments and criticism are well taken. The piece is very whimsical, that is, I didn't think about what can I make that everyone will like, but rather have some fun and see what happens. I agree that it could be more successful.  But someone may like it and purchase it.
'
The bird is a found object but to make one wouldn't be that difficult, I don't think.

John, since the dots are carved the process of 'ukibori' wouldn't work. With 'ukibori'  the wood fibres have to pressed (not carved) and then steamed.  I have done it but it is rather difficult to do. Many carved netsuke have the ukibori on them especially frogs but they are small. I did a lidded bowl with a lid which shows ukibori.

Best regards to all and thanks again for your thoughts on this piece.

Robert

Love this.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 09:24:46 PM »

Hi Robert, 

I so like what you've done with both pieces, it's nice too see that you're outside of the influence of just the brown & round style police of the it should be in woodturning ...  So many can say they get a block on design, I know too well, these are nice in that you just ran with an idea .. and a good one, well done, stick with having fun ... we all should.

Cheers     David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''